Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Zbook 15 G2
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Good evening,

I am picking up a second hand Zbook 15 G2 with a K2100K Quadro GPU in the coming days that comes with a FHD screen.

My question is whether I can upgrade this to a QHD screen?

From my understanding the connector is a different size on the QHD screen to the FHD (40 pin vs 30 pin) and thus I would need to find a way to change the screen cable in the machine - I guess I am asking if this is possible, whether anyone has done it. and how much work was involved? 

I do not mind taking the laptop completely apart if I need to, I just want to work out whether it is possible. 

Any help would be greatly appreciated, 

Thanks, 

Tim

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

A QHD+ screen was offered:

15.6-in, QHD+, UWVA, LED display panel 797849-001

Service Manual

Odd thing is, I do not see a replacement part number for the screen panel cable. Page 85 seems to imply that the same cable is used for the FHD and QHD+ screens. I do see that the Dreamvision assembly (offered only as a FHD resolution) can only be ordered as a hinges up single part. I would not replace a Dreamvision screen with anything else if that is what you are getting. The quality is awesome. But it looks like if your model is an FHD non-Dreamvision screen a QHD+ is a drop-in replacement. 

Not finding the QHD+ screen on amazon or eBay UK. I have not personally done this upgrade but venture to say I have replaced dozens if not hundreds of laptop screens and this is the thinking I would use to approach the issue. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for this, massively helpful!

I receive the machine tomorrow, so I will do the usual checks and then open it up and try and work out which screen it currently has. If it is DreamColor that would be great and indeed I would not change that, but I have a feeling it won't be. If it isn't I'd love to get the DreamColor if possible, but that looks quite difficult to get hold of. Indeed looking at the various screens having Googled the part numbers it seems they all have different connectors in terms of numbers of pins. DreamColor has 50, normal FHD has 30 and QHD looks to have 40 pin. Very confusing. 

HP Recommended

Hi Huffer, I now have the machine. Do you know how I can check the model and make of the screen panel? I have to say that the screen looks like a pretty dull TN panel, so I will be looking for a replacement, but just want to make sure I know which one I have at the moment.

Is it simply a case of opening up the machine and checking the panel for the part number or something similar? I am assuming there is some sort of identifier on the panel itself, or is there a way to find out via Windows? 

Thanks for all your help!

HP Recommended

Never mind, it looks like the Zbook was damaged in transit and has overheating issues. 

CPU was reaching 95C according to HWMonitor (and bottom left side of laptop was very hot) just whilst installing some drivers in Windows 10. 

A real shame as my first impressions of the laptop were top notch, really impressed. 

HP Recommended

Yeah Zbooks are great. I have a Zbook 15 G3 as my office computer. Its insanely powerful and runs 24/7 but never a heating problem. If you get yours replaced you are absolutely right you generally need to open it and check the back of the screen panel for a screen maker part number to tell what you have. If its a Dreamcolor you will have Dreamcolor software installed if its an HP factory load. But generally you would recognize a Dreamcolor screen on first sight. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.