Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 17- bs011dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I want to upgrade to SSD and use my old HDD as a secondary drive to replace the cdrom. What is the caddy size I need, 9.5mm 9.0? Thanks in advance! 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

Chapter 1, page 3 of the service manual indicates the optical drive size is 9.0 mm.

HP 17 Laptop PCHP 17g Laptop PCHP 17q Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi:

Chapter 1, page 3 of the service manual indicates the optical drive size is 9.0 mm.

HP 17 Laptop PCHP 17g Laptop PCHP 17q Laptop PC Maintenance and Service Guide

HP Recommended

Its 9.0.  There is an M.2 slot on the motherboard for an SSD so I would use an M.2 SSD plus keep the HDD in the 2.5 bay before I used a DVD caddy. 

Manual 

M.2 slot in red circleM.2 slot in red circle

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul! I really appreciate this.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You may want to consider Huffer's excellent suggestion to just buy a M.2 SATA SSD and keep the 2.5" mechanical hard drive and optical drive as is.

I would conjecture that a 250 GB M.2 SATA SSD would probably not be a whole lot more expensive than an optical drive caddy.

HP Recommended

Thank you Huffer, this is really helpful!

HP Recommended

Yes, that is what I would do. Thank you guys for your suggestions!

HP Recommended

Hi! So I have been reading about this, and I have read that if I would add an M2 ssd to the pcie slot(pls correct me if i'm wrong) I wouldn't be able to boot from it? And it would just be a secondary drive? 

Here's the source that has been answered by someone who works from HP.

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/ssd-m-2-upgrade/td-p/6322941

Thanks again.

HP Recommended

Hi:

You can use the M.2 SATA SSD as a boot drive, and you use the hard drive for storage.

You will probably have to disconnect the 2.5" drive, install Windows on the M.2 SSD and make sure it works.

Then you can reconnect the 2.5" drive and remove Windows from it and just use it for storage.

If you don't remove Windows, the PC will always want to boot from the 2.5" drive first, and not the SSD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.