Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP G62 a05SG
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Greetings, I currently own a g62 model a05sg laptop with an i3 330M CPU. I've been thinking about upgrading to a i7 620M as there is one for cheap near me. Before I buy it I would like to confirm that it fits my model, and also if there is anything else required (i.e. BIOS update for example?). I've been reading info about the subject but I'd like a second opinion before I go through with the purchase.

Thank you for your time.

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

i7-620M will work provided the processor is socketed. Some models with the i3-330M have a soldered on processor. This is the Service Manual HP has posted for your model and it does not even list an i3-330M:

Manual 

You should flash to the latest BIOS before doing a processor upgrade just as a best practice. 

HP Recommended

Thank you for the information. If i remember correctly I was able to remove the CPU from the socket when I changed the thermal paste a while ago. 

Can you also confirm that the CPU has an integrated graphics card? At the moment, my laptop is running on the i3's graphics card because the dedicated (discrete?) card is not working. I'm asking because the seller told me he can't use the i7 alone on his motherboard (hm55 express) because he needs a discrete graphics card as well.  

Thank you.

HP Recommended

Some misinformation is getting tossed around here somehow. These specs say the processor on your motherboard is BGA which means soldered on:

https://icecat.biz/us/p/hp/wv999ea/g-notebooks-0885631285558-g62-a05sg-5783641.html

The laptop also has switchable graphics; both Intel HD integrated and AMD Radeon HD 5470. Any of the supported processors is capable of working with the integrated and dedicated video. Its not quite accurate to say the processor has a video card contained in it. There is external circuitry for both the integrated and dedicated video on the motherboard. AMD A-series APUs on the other hand actually have the video processing entirely done in the processor. These are called APUs as opposed to CPUs. 

HP Recommended

Correct me if I'm wrong, but a soldered CPU can't be removed from the motherboard, right? As I said, I've replaced the thermal paste a couple of months ago and I'm sure the CPU was sitting on a socket, as I was able to remove it and clean the old paste, and then put it back in its place. Perhaps the specs are not accurate? The model inside of the battery compartment reads G62-a05SG and the exterior matches the pictures.

As for the GPU, as far as I remember I've used only the Intel integrated graphics, that's why I assumed that the graphics card was defective, this being a second hand laptop. 

I'm confused about the new CPU I would like to buy. The seller says that whenever he tries to watch a high quality video on youtube he gets a windows error, and from what he's gathered from the internet it has something to do with the CPU's graphics. I was thinking that maybe it has something to do with his BIOS, operating system or maybe the drivers. 

Still, could it be that his CPU is faulty? 

HP Recommended

That is why I urged you to open it but apparently you already have. HP has not posted specs for your model the ones I posted come from a 3rd party. So they say BGA but if you can remove the CPU yours is not BGA. I would stay away from anything that seller is offering. CPUs are some of the few items where I have had trouble buying on eBay and I will only buy CPUs from high-feedback reputable supply houses and even then problems are more common than with other laptop parts like screens. 

HP Recommended

If that's the case then I suppose I will look for another seller. There aren't many where I live but if everything else fails I'll order from eBay. 

Thank you for your time, Huffer, you've been a great help. If it's not a problem I'd like to keep the thread open a bit longer, in case I get any more questions in the next 1-2 days.

HP Recommended

Absolutely if you have any more questions just add to the post and I get an alert or PM me. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.