Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY m7 Notebook (M7-u109dx)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I try to upgrade my hard drive. it has been a long time since I used this laptop, and there are a lot of stuff in my hard drive, so it takes a while to boot up the computer. Therefore, I want to replace my hard drive to SSD and I wonder which SSD should I buy. I'm planning to buy Samsung SSD 860 EVO 1TB 2.5 inch SATA III internal SSD, but I want to know if this is fit and work in my laptop before I buy.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, the Samsung 860 Evo is considered the best SATA3 SSD on the market. It will fit in the notebook. On page 31 of service manual, you can see how to replace the drive

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05282360

You will need to reinstall the OS on the SSD.

You could also check and see if the M2 slot is present on your motherboard. The service manual does mention the slot. However, sometimes notebooks that did not come with M2 SSD are missing the physical slot on the motherboard. On page 24 of service manual, you can see the steps to remove the bottom cover

M2 SSDM2 SSD

If the slot is present you could install an M2 SATA3 SSD such as the M2 Samsung 860 Evo or similar of your desired capacity and keep the old hard drive for storage in the notebook.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

This is a good ssd from Samsung as it have Samsung's own mjx controller, lpddr4 dram chip and is fast to locate anything on the drive if using for Windows or Linux systems, there also other cheap ssd's are available on the market with same configuration like crucial bx500, hp s700 but doesn't have the dram cache.

HP Recommended

Hi,

Yes, the Samsung 860 Evo is considered the best SATA3 SSD on the market. It will fit in the notebook. On page 31 of service manual, you can see how to replace the drive

http://h10032.www1.hp.com/ctg/Manual/c05282360

You will need to reinstall the OS on the SSD.

You could also check and see if the M2 slot is present on your motherboard. The service manual does mention the slot. However, sometimes notebooks that did not come with M2 SSD are missing the physical slot on the motherboard. On page 24 of service manual, you can see the steps to remove the bottom cover

M2 SSDM2 SSD

If the slot is present you could install an M2 SATA3 SSD such as the M2 Samsung 860 Evo or similar of your desired capacity and keep the old hard drive for storage in the notebook.

Hope it helps,

David

Please click on thumbs up for thanks

Please click on accept as solution if answered your question

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.