Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
15-ba010AX
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
Hi . I guess my laptop's hard drive just failed. The computer comes with two LED notification lights and one of it indicates wether the hdd is running or not and the light is not coming on. Also there's a 3 blinks on the caps lock key which i don't know what causes it. The laptop was running fine until it the screen suddenly turns black and it restarts and boots windows as usual for 5 secs and turned black with no responses. But i guess the main culprit is force shut down which i performed for around 7 times today due to my laptop freezing. Hope someone can help. Is this hard drive failure ?
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

It does have a removeable battery. Pull it out and remove AC power. Hold down power button 30 seconds (I know it seems silly but has a purpose). Don't put the battery back in but hook up AC power. Now try to start. If you still get black screen and flashing lights you have a dead motherboard. 

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Seems like it might be something worse than that. Turn it completely off and turn it on. What happens exactly? Can you tap esc as you power it on and get to a menu where you can go into diagnostics by choosing F2 or will it not stay on long enough? 

HP Recommended
Nothing happens except for a black screen and no respond on key input also. It does stay on until the battery dies but yeah, it's not working at all. But I'll give it a shot again and will definitely update to u ASAP. Thanks 😄
HP Recommended

It does have a removeable battery. Pull it out and remove AC power. Hold down power button 30 seconds (I know it seems silly but has a purpose). Don't put the battery back in but hook up AC power. Now try to start. If you still get black screen and flashing lights you have a dead motherboard. 

HP Recommended
Ok man. It started just fine and i managed to get into the diagnostic software. Right now I'm doing a test on components that may be on track towards it's death earlier than expected which is the ram and hard drive.
HP Recommended

Yes that is exactly what you should do. Also do not forget a test on the battery. Let us know how it goes. 

HP Recommended
Everything is working fine now except there are few sudden restarts when the hard drive are being pushed to its limit. No problem with the battery.
HP Recommended

It should not ever restart spontaneously....something is wrong. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.