Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Exa17-by0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I have the same problem as many others have had.  BOTH plastic hinge clips have broken on my laptop. I can no longer close it and the screen needs to be propped up to use it.  Of course it is out of warranty.  Are replacement cases available or is this perfectly good laptop now a piece of trash?  I don't see a place to ask if cases are available on the support site since this laptop is out of warranty.

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

I forgot to mentions it has never been abused or dropped

HP Recommended

I have a similar issue. On mine it is the left hinge. It ended up cracked the top part of the lower case. I can't believe as widespread as this problem is they haven't offered to fix this issue. This happened to mine just after I ordered my wife a laptop from them for Christmas. I also just bought my daughter an HP desktop 2 months ago. I'm thinking about canceling my wife's laptop and going with another company. I have checked and think I have found a replacement for the part that cracked. I figure I'll fix it myself since mine is out of warranty.

Just do a search for lower keyboard replacement case for your model number and you should get some results.

HP Recommended

It would seem to me that a recall might be warranted.  Unfortunately I think mine needs the entire case not just the bottom ;(

HP Recommended

you should be able to find it. I have seen the upper and lower for mine

HP Recommended

it's pretty pathetic how often this is happening across multiple models. HP really needs to fix this in future generations AND take the hit on owning their **bleep** up by replacing the broken ones scott free

HP Recommended

I have spent  quite a bit on HP products but that will end after this experience. I'm going to do some research on which brand to go with in the future.

HP Recommended

@DaisyDew @rickc1970 @BHartwell

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

I want to thank you for taking the time to speak to us today. Your business means a lot to us. 

I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that 
here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I would appreciate the help. 

HP Recommended

So when exactly is someone supposed to contact me? I am pretty much at the point I will have to find the parts and fix it myself.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.