Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook - 15-bs542tu
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hlo Everyone,

My laptop is slowing down. I want to upgrade existing RAM / Hard Drive or install in extra slot in my laptop.

How can I know which "SPECIFIC" RAM model and which "SPECIFIC" SSD, is my laptop compatible with !?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hello  Its_Arun.

To find out your upgrade options you can read your manual: Manual HP Notebook - 15-bs542tu     

This manual covers many models, and by looking at your model's specifications I see your CPU as Intel® Core™ i3-6006U (2 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores) SKYLAKE 6th gen.  If this is indeed your CPU, then according to your manual:

• RAM: Two non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots (Intel Core processors)
    DDR4-2133 dual channel support (6th and 7th generation Intel Core processors)

Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following configurations.

Your RAM is actually upgradeable, this non-customer upgradeable phrase just means that HP would rather do it themselves. You need 2 DDR4 sodimms with a speed of 2133 (or 2400/2666 that will run at 2133). The maximum RAM is 16gb. However, your CPU supports the use of 32gb RAM which might or might not be allowed by the motherboard chipset. To make sure, you can check maximum allowed system memory by running cmd as administrator and typing in command wmic memphysical get maxcapacity. Or just get 2x8gb RAM (16gb) to be on the safe side....

• STORAGE (SSD 2.5inch/m.2):  Supports 6.35-cm (2.5-in) SATA hard drives in 9.5-mm (.37-in) and 7.2-mm (.28-in) thicknesses
    and M.2 SATA-3.

This means that you can change your HDD for a 7mm SSD or keep HDD, and install a SATA III m.2 in the m.2 slot. However, there have been reports of laptops NOT actually having this slot properly fitted. Take a look here at Huffer EXPERT Level 18 's post on the subject: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Is-there-any-m-2-slot-availabl... If you'd rather keep HDD and install a m.2, it's imperative that you open the laptop first and confirm there's actually a working m.2 slot there.....

Some upgrading options on CRUCIAL's site for RAM and 2.5inch SSDs HP 15-bs542tu RAM & SSD Upgrades You'll notice there are no m.2 options, possibly because CRUCIAL can't confirm that all of the laptops have the working m.2 slot.

Post back if you have any questions. Take care!

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hello  Its_Arun.

To find out your upgrade options you can read your manual: Manual HP Notebook - 15-bs542tu     

This manual covers many models, and by looking at your model's specifications I see your CPU as Intel® Core™ i3-6006U (2 GHz, 3 MB cache, 2 cores) SKYLAKE 6th gen.  If this is indeed your CPU, then according to your manual:

• RAM: Two non-customer-accessible/upgradable memory module slots (Intel Core processors)
    DDR4-2133 dual channel support (6th and 7th generation Intel Core processors)

Supports up to 16 GB of system RAM in the following configurations.

Your RAM is actually upgradeable, this non-customer upgradeable phrase just means that HP would rather do it themselves. You need 2 DDR4 sodimms with a speed of 2133 (or 2400/2666 that will run at 2133). The maximum RAM is 16gb. However, your CPU supports the use of 32gb RAM which might or might not be allowed by the motherboard chipset. To make sure, you can check maximum allowed system memory by running cmd as administrator and typing in command wmic memphysical get maxcapacity. Or just get 2x8gb RAM (16gb) to be on the safe side....

• STORAGE (SSD 2.5inch/m.2):  Supports 6.35-cm (2.5-in) SATA hard drives in 9.5-mm (.37-in) and 7.2-mm (.28-in) thicknesses
    and M.2 SATA-3.

This means that you can change your HDD for a 7mm SSD or keep HDD, and install a SATA III m.2 in the m.2 slot. However, there have been reports of laptops NOT actually having this slot properly fitted. Take a look here at Huffer EXPERT Level 18 's post on the subject: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Is-there-any-m-2-slot-availabl... If you'd rather keep HDD and install a m.2, it's imperative that you open the laptop first and confirm there's actually a working m.2 slot there.....

Some upgrading options on CRUCIAL's site for RAM and 2.5inch SSDs HP 15-bs542tu RAM & SSD Upgrades You'll notice there are no m.2 options, possibly because CRUCIAL can't confirm that all of the laptops have the working m.2 slot.

Post back if you have any questions. Take care!

HP Recommended

Hi, @Its_Arun 

I can confirm that any 15-bsxxx notebook that has an Intel core processor does have a M.2 slot that supports SATA SSD's.

The models with the Pentium or Celeron processors do not have a M.2 slot.

Since your notebook has an Intel core processor, it does have the M.2 slot for a SSD.

Here is a post with a picture of the same model as yours that shows the M.2 slot is present.

Solved: SSD confusion for port - HP Support Community - 8421864

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul! Do you think these machines can run wiith 32gb cause everyone here says max RAM is 2x8gb and CRUCIAL also has this configuration as the limit.......but it is a Skylake.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Unfortunately, that I do not know.

If it was one of the 15-bs models with one of the Intel 8th gen core processors, I would say yes.

On the models with the 6th and 7th gen's, I am not sure.

I do believe that the report you run using the command prompt will indicate the notebook can support 2 x 16 GB of memory--even on a 6th gen.

So, what I have done in the past where I get conflicting info from various sources in an example like this is to buy one 16 GB chip and run it along with the existing one.  If the notebook boots up, runs fine and reports the correct amount of memory, then I know that I can proceed and buy the 2nd 16 GB chip.

Since the notebook only came with 4 GB of memory, I think that installing 2 x 8 GB would be sufficient.

HP Recommended

👍

Thank you Sensei m(_ _)m

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.