Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

How do I upgrade this laptop? I want to make it faster. Processor Is too slow. Would like intel core i7 but I have never done anything like this before so what do I buy and how do I do it?

Thank you in advance for your response!!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I don't think so.

Your notebook has an A8-5545M processor (the second-best processor offered), so upgrading to the A10-5745M won't make that much of a difference.

You would be better off replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" solid state drive if you have not done so already.

You can also max out the memory by adding a second 8 GB memory chip according to the Crucial memory report for your notebook.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp beats series | Beats Special Edition 15-p030nr | Crucia...

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

Your notebook has an AMD processor, and the processor is an integral part of the motherboard.

Your only option would be to replace the motherboard with one listed in chapter 3 of your notebook's service manual that comes with a better AMD processor.

c04402649.pdf (hp.com)

AMD A10-5745M (2.9 GHz/2.1 GHz, 4 MB L2, 1333 MHz DDR3L, quad core, 25 W) for use with Windows Standard HP Pavilion 15 Notebook PC HP part # 766714-501

I recommend you buy a new notebook with an Intel processor before replacing the motherboard in yours.

HP Recommended

So the upgrade to a new AMD processor and motherboard that is required, isn’t worth the trouble?

HP Recommended

I don't think so.

Your notebook has an A8-5545M processor (the second-best processor offered), so upgrading to the A10-5745M won't make that much of a difference.

You would be better off replacing the 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" solid state drive if you have not done so already.

You can also max out the memory by adding a second 8 GB memory chip according to the Crucial memory report for your notebook.

Memory RAM & SSD Upgrades | hp - compaq | hp beats series | Beats Special Edition 15-p030nr | Crucia...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.