Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I'm working on a G62-320CA that has five actions keys on the left side (mail, media, web browser, print, and calculator). How do I customize these? They don't open the correct programs.

Thanks,

Shane.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the reg tweak...for the side one-touch keys (that is what they are called)

Internet Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Appkey\7 "Association"="http" ; Change the string value "http"

Calculator Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey\18 "ShellExecute"="calc.exe"; Change the string value "calc.exe"

Email Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Appkey\15 "Association"="mailto" ; Change the string value "mailto"

Cyberlink PowerDVD/Mediasmart Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MobilePc\HotStartButtons\2 "ApplicationPath" = "C:\Program File(x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDVD9\PowerDVD9.exe"; Change the string value "C:\Program File(x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDVD9\PowerDVD9.exe"

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
Click on the BLUE KUDOS button on the left to say "Thanks"

View solution in original post

25 REPLIES 25
HP Recommended

Here is the reg tweak...for the side one-touch keys (that is what they are called)

Internet Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Appkey\7 "Association"="http" ; Change the string value "http"

Calculator Key: HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey\18 "ShellExecute"="calc.exe"; Change the string value "calc.exe"

Email Key: HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Appkey\15 "Association"="mailto" ; Change the string value "mailto"

Cyberlink PowerDVD/Mediasmart Key: HKLM\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\MobilePc\HotStartButtons\2 "ApplicationPath" = "C:\Program File(x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDVD9\PowerDVD9.exe"; Change the string value "C:\Program File(x86)\Cyberlink\PowerDVD9\PowerDVD9.exe"

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with 'Accept as Solution', if it solves your problem.
HP Recommended

Thanks.

I was actually wanting to change the default browser from Internet Explorer 32-bit to 64-bit, but the 64-bit browser says that it can't be set as the default browser. It doesn't say why.

The User Guide (page 5) calls them "Action Keys".

Shane.

HP Recommended

You are always welcome!

I would suggest using 32-bit browser, primarily due to the fact that the browser plug-in available are all 32 Bit...which will cause issues with the 64-bit browser...

HP Recommended

Hello Cyclops,

I'm running Windows XP Pro on a HP EliteBook 8540p. My Quick Lauch Button for the web is not working properly. If I click on the internet explorer button on my desktop, I get my standard page (google). If I use the QLB for web, it's referring to an unknown page (http://%22c/). I've tried to adjust it with regedit as mentioned below, unfortunately with no result. Can you please help ?

with kind regards,

Heino

HP Recommended

@ Heino - Let me get back to you on this...kindly stand by...

HP Recommended

Hi everyone:

There seems to be a lot of confusion about the NAMES of certain keys on the HP G62 (and possibly other) laptops. I have a HP G62-225DX. In the PDF manual ("HP Notebook User Guide-c02102005.pdf"):

On page 5 -- The F1 to F12 keys are referred to as "action keys" in the component table (see item 10). This is also the name given to these keys on page 32. The FACTORY default setting for these keys means that when you press one of these keys--for example, F11-- you can mute or restore speaker sound. If your software application uses the F11-key for a special purpose, you have to hold down the "fn"-key and then press F11. In another post, someone wanted to disable this feature. In other words, they want to get F11 when they press F11 (and not have to hold down the "fn"-key). To make this change, the HP solution is to DISABLE "ActionKeys Mode" in the system BIOS. I made this change and it works.

Side note: I suppose if you watch A LOT of DVDs or CDs on your laptop, the factory default setting makes sense since 9 of the 12 function keys act like a "remote"—stop, play, louder, quieter, skip ahead, etc. I think "the rest of us" would like to have single-press function keys. 🙂

On page 33 -- In the note below the table is the following:

Refer to (2) through (6) in Keys on page 5 for information on using the application quick-launch keys.

The "(2) through (6)" items listed on page 5 are simply named:

(2) Send e-mail key

(3) Media application key

(4) Web browser key

(5) Print key

(6) Calculator key

THIS IS THE ONLY REFERENCE TO "QUICK-LAUNCH" IN THE ENTIRE MANUAL.

On HP support page:

http://tinyurl.com/2d6ceeu

HP introduces 2 new terms: "Quick Launch" buttons and "QuickPlay" buttons. And just to make sure that you don’t get confused:

------------------------------

You may have HP QuickPlay buttons on your particular notebook model, but you may not have HP Quick Launch buttons. If you only have HP QuickPlay buttons, you will see the HP QuickPlay symbol (see the HP webpage for what this symbol looks like) above the keyboard, but you will not see the HP Info button or Presentation button Quick Launch icons. HP QuickPlay buttons may launch the HP QuickPlay, HP DVD Play, or MediaSmart programs, which are different from the HP Quick Launch program.

------------------------------

I don't have the Quick Launch icons on my laptop. Just above the "action keys" I have the ALTEC grill for the speakers. To make use of the (2) Quick Launch "buttons" you need Quick Launch software installed on your laptop. As far as I can determine, the Quick Launch software DOES NOT allow you to redefine or disable the 5 keys on the left side of the keyboard.

I also don't have the QuickPlay symbol on my laptop and I couldn't find any reference to QuickPlay (software or otherwise) on the HP support site.

On 11-18-2010 03:47 AM "Cyclops" (an HP employee) suggests that these keys are called "side one-touch keys". I understand that this is NOT an official name but I hope the rest of HP adopts the definition. It certainly clarifies things for me. 🙂

The really scary part is that it requires a Registry hack or "tweak" to redefine these keys. I'm not that familiar (or comfortable) with editing the Registry. I'm assuming that if you supply a null value ("") for the "Association", "ExecuteShell" or "ApplicationPath" parameters, this will disable these keys (i.e., pressing one of these keys will result in no action). Another possibility might be to change the action of these keys so they match the keys right beside them. For example, if I press the "calculator key" I'd like it to have the action of pressing the "ctrl"-key; pressing the "web browser key" would have the same action as pressing the "caps lock"-key; etc. I also note that there is no suggested Registry fix for the "print key".

The fact that it requires a Registry tweak to address this issue does not reflect well on HP. Nor is mucking around in the BIOS to change the "action keys". The next time I go to buy a laptop, HP is going to get a pass if those pesky "one-touch keys" are there! And don't get me started on the design of the touchpad!

HP Recommended

I have a week old HP G62 although I don't like the QuickLaunch Keys on the left; I can live with them. However the key just under the email key does nothing since I removed the Cyberlink DVD software. I have looked at various fixes on the forums and looked at the regedit; despite being able to tweak the calc key I have know idea how to program this key to another program i.e itunes.

Some advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

HP Recommended

@Cyclops wrote:

Hey, Thank you Cyclops.  These worked great.  Now how do you disable the Print key?

HP Recommended

I edited the media key, as defined above, but enither vlc media player nor itunes will pop up when I hit the key now.  No big loss; forcing me to use some lameware DVD player is pretty **bleep** of HP, but all the same, it would be nice to be able to use the button.

Any further guidance on a possible additional registry edit?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.