Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

Sorry but this is doesn't mean much to me.  I don't have any HKLM directory, nor a 'software' directory, etc.  Where is this stuff to change?  Say it like I'm an idiot.  

I want to disable those 'one-touch' keys because I'm not used to them being there and I keep hitting them accidently.  How do I do that?

HP Recommended

is there a shellexecute value I could give it which would turn my calc key into a ctrl key?? I hate when the corner key isnt the ctrl key, and will usually bust that key off.. but if I can remap it, that would be sweet.

HP Recommended

These keys on the left side are really frustrating... on my first hour with my new HP computer, I launched the calculator 10 times by accident. I had to remap that key to Left CTRL (I used KeyTweak, downloaded from http://webpages.charter.net/krumsick/).

monkeytree5 wrote:

Now how do you disable the Print key?

You don't. I wanted to remap it to Left SHIFT, but it is impossible. The Print key is the same as hitting P while holding the left CTRL. You would need to remap your left "CTRL" or "P" keys t change the behavior of that key.

HP Recommended

where to enter :

HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\AppKey\.........................

plese Cyclops/sir,give the full instruction.

I' using HP Pavilion dv6 3040

win7,home prem,core i5.

HP Recommended

UPDATE: Disregard below advice, it seems just editing registry will not help as its HP Quick Launch software which controls how action keys are worked. And for whatever reason the HP Quick Launch GUI or visual software will not work/load on consumer laptops it seems to be only working in full gui mode in business laptops. However in consumer versions it runs in the background so not way to edit keys through that. If you want to remap one key to the other, like calculator to be control use program called KeyTweak (search on google or look at above posts), if you want to link a key to a program directly, like have Touchsmart key launch something else, use QuickPlay Remapper this program , Hope that helps all!

@xzdragon

Did you put the location right? Maybe in quotes like this

"C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\SmartCenter\SmartCenter.exe" hotstart

@Ronku

Here is how to get there:

Go to Start -> Run -> type in "regedit" without the quotes of course -> On the left panel click the expand arrow icon next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE and you should see a collapsed view of many more entries etc. follow the path listed by Cyclops

So for your example

Click drop down to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, and in the expanded list look for SOFTWARE and click expand again on SOFTWARE then look for Microsoft then expand it again and Windows then CurrentVersion, expand that and look for Explorer, and AppKey and expand that fianlly and you should see sub "folders" with 7,14,17 etc. or related numbers click on them don't expand those numbers. You should see on the right panel values to modify them, just double click on any of the values and you will be able to modify them.

If not all your action keys are listed there, you can find the other location that Cyclops mentions for Cyberlink power dvd

Here is a image:

Be careful if you have trouble even after this, as your Windows registry is the "central heart of keeping files and information together"

Image courtesy of user: Bookworm

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

Hey everyone,

I seemed to have found another work-around!

The QuickPlay Remapper listed above is a great alternative first.

Another one:

http://www.randyrants.com/sharpkeys/

http://simonsarris.com/blog/24-envy-keyboard

Finally, this one worked for me good but it requires a bit time, don't rush to read the bottom its not at all hard i went into depth and details for new users but it goes fast, the above softwares often left some key not working, this tip below is working with what you already have, that is the HP Quick Launch which already makes all keys work fine but to modify them just do below options.

First make sure you have HP Quick Launch installed if you want to only edit one or two keys but leave rest working, that is responsible for making all special keys like print, calc, touchsmart, dvd etc. work, when hp quick launch is running, it works independent of the windows registry so trying to make edits in registry is useless. This same action is done by the above Quickplay Remapper. The problem was the QuickPlay remapper wasn't exactly working with all my keys so i made my own fix. So first find out where what you want is, for example this is what i did

1. I wanted to replace my Touchsmart key with a app i have on my computer that turns the display off.

2. First i found out where my touchsmart app was loading from whenever I hit the button, i found this out from the location that Cyclops mentions previously, so in my case it was C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\TouchSmart\SmartCenter\SmartCenter.exe

3. I created a shortcut for my display turning off program called TurnScreenOff.exe,  and named it to SmartCenter.exe But before putting it in the SmartCenter folder I renamed the HP's SmartCenter.exe file to something like SmartCenterORIGINAL.exe so not to lose my original hp file

4.. The problem I saw was whenever i hit Touchsmart key, it tried to launch smartcenter.exe and for that matter shortcuts even if you rename them, aren't .exe files.  A bit explained: the problem here is no matter how you name the shortcut even if you add .exe truth is shortcuts have a hidden ending that is .ink and so trying to rename shortcut extension is no good. to fix this follow below steps. Explanation of what below does: It allows you to duplicate what a shortcut does but in a .exe form by first creating a .bat or Batch File and then having it converted to .exe

4a.  Follow this step to first create something called .bat or batch file http://computerfreetips.com/window_xp/w_batch_xp.html, only follow up to where it says save .bat file and rem /min means start program minimized take that out if you don't want program minimized and only put start for 1 program you don't want to start 3 programs as that tutorial mentions., When putting the location of the file you want to load up in the batch file, follow these tips listed here: http://www.robvanderwoude.com/start.php and

4b. Get bat_to_exe program freeware to convert that bat file to .exe http://www.computerhope.com/dutil.htm there, if you have Windows 7 you might have to run the bat_to_exe program in win 98 compatibility?

5. Once you converted your former .bat file to .exe just take your file and you rename it SmartCenter.exe and place it in that HP folder and bam next time you hit that Touchsmart key the new exe you created runs because that key looks for SmartCenter.exe in that HP folder, and executes your program

6. Finally I went into start menu searched "touchsmart" and changed locations of HP TouchSmart to launch to proper HP application (just rightclick shortcut in start menu, then properties and change where it says target, in my case i changed it from SmartCenter.exe to SmartCenterORIGINAL.exe and not to my turnscreenoff program).

You can avoid the "painstaking" bat to exe nonsense if you have a single .exe file you want to run just drop it in HP folder and you're good to go, however don't copy exes from large programs like games or complicated programs as they require other files to run.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Say thanks by clicking the "Kudos! Star" which is on the left.

Make it easier for other people to find solutions, by marking my answer with "Accept as Solution" if it solves your issue.
HP Recommended

It is ridiculous... HP RESOLVE THAT ISSUE!!!! Provide us an official tool!!! YOUR CUSTOMERS ARE GETTING CRAZY!

http://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware/DV6-3113SA-shortcut-keys/m-p/958381#M56078

HP Recommended

sir m using hp g62-144dx.

i have problem with some keys on my  keyboard and  mouse pad.

lock key(near to f12 key) on keyboard is not working...

and if i locked my mouse pad i cant unlock it again.

i have to shut down my comp to unlock my mouse pad.

how to set up side one-touch keys..(mail,media,internet ,print,calculater)???

what i shud do with  [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Appkey\7 "Association"="http"]

this phrase ???

where i shud write or search???

please mention step by step...

vrutant

thnks

HP Recommended

sir m using hp g62-144dx.

i have problem with some keys on my  keyboard and  mouse pad.

lock key(near to f12 key) on keyboard is not working...

and if i locked my mouse pad i cant unlock it again.

i have to shut down my comp to unlock my mouse pad.

how to set up side one-touch keys..(mail,media,internet ,print,calculater)???

what i shud do with  [HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\Appkey\7 "Association"="http"]

this phrase ???

where i shud write or search???

please mention step by step...

vrutant

thnks

HP Recommended

So, what do we do with those lines? I'm not a programmer...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.