Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion Notebook
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello! I've been trying to give my computer (Pavilion Notebook 15-ab153nr) some updates, but it told me I couldn't until the BIOS update was installed. I downloaded the update yet, when I try to install it, it says I need to decrypt drive encryption from TPM so I don't lose any data. I've been trying to find a way to do that, but I don't know how. The most I've seen is that Bitlocker helps, but I have Windows 10 Home so I can't install it.

Any help with this will be greatly appreciated!

-Adriana

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@AdrianaCordero,

Continue with the update and please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@AdrianaCordero,

Welcome to the HP Support Community!

Have you encrypted the hard drive using some software? If yes, then you need to decrypt it using the same software to install the BIOS.

Also, if you have any firewalls or anti-virus programs installed on the computer, please disable them and then try install the BIOS.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for the reply!

I've had TPM installed in the computer since I bought it, but I haven't actively done anything. I'm not sure if its encrypted or not- as you can tell, I'm not that great with this type of thing. Does having it automatically encrypts the hard drive? If so, how do I work with it to install the BIOS without losing anything?

HP Recommended

@AdrianaCordero,

I recommend you check whether you have BitLocker enabled on the computer. Follow the below steps.

1. Open the Search bar and type Manage BitLocker. Select the Manage BitLocker from the menu.
  2. This will open the BitLocker window, where you will see all your partitions and you can either select to suspend BitLocker or completely disable it.

If you continue facing the issue, follow the steps in the below article to update the BIOS outside Windows.

https://support.hp.com/in-en/document/c00042629

NOTE: Follow the steps under: Update the BIOS when Windows starts

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accept as Solution. Your feedback counts!

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I turned off Windows Defender and checked my computer for Bitlocker, but I don't have it yet the message keeps popping up. Should I just continue with the update or is there something else that should be done?

HP Recommended

@AdrianaCordero,

Continue with the update and please post your results, as I will be looking forward to hearing from you.

Good day!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I went ahead with the update and everything seems to be in order. I've started giving the computer the other updates it needed, that couldn't be done with the previous BIOS, and it's going very smoothly.

Thank you so much for the assistance and support,

Adriana Cordero

HP Recommended

@AdrianaCordero

Happy to hear that. If you need further assistance feel free to reach out to us.

Have a great day!

Asmita
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.