Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook 17-p180.no (Energy Star)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Can anybody help? How do I remove Optical Driver Bezel?

To install a new wifi card I need to open the cover of my HP Notebook 17-p180.no (Energy Star). To do this I have to remove the optical drive bezel. I have removed all the screws the videoes/pictures/manuals have told me to, but I can`t get the optical drive out, so that I can open the cover of the laptop. (https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c04324972?jumpid=reg_r1002_auen_c-001_title_r0001) As far as I can see, the optical drive bezel is NOT flush with the side of the base enclosure, but some millimeters inside, and I can`t reach it. It looks like it is secured with a ribbon and a "spring-feather" (don`t know the english word for it), to the motherboard and doesn't just pop out of the slot as shown by some videos. (I have asked this question in another board, (with pictures), but no answer, so I thought maybe I chose the wrong board and try this one 🙂 )

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@ingjerd If you would have posted the reason for removal of the ODD, I would have suggested the USB adapter too 😉

Either way, I'm glad you've got that under control and good luck, ahead.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@ingjerd I suggest you visit page. 27 & 28 of Chapter 5 Removal and replacement procedures for Customer Self-Repair parts to get all the information you need on getting the optical drive removed or replaced, as shown in the below image:

Continued on the next page.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I thank you for the answer, but it does not help me. The picture on page 28 does not show how my laptop looks. My laptop`s bottom cover is in one piece/slab, and I can`t get it off until I remove the Optical Drive Bezel, which I can`t remove before I remove the cover, (that`s why I can`t "Use a flat tool to press on the optical drive bracket tab"). It`s a catch 22. 

However, I have found a solution to my (underlying) problem; to upgrade the network adapter: I bought a WiFi USB Adapter Dual Band, so now my laptop is capable of using the 5G network. (If I had known such a thing existed, I could have saved myself hours on youtube, searching in service pamphlets, and looking empty in to the air on a screwless laptop :-))
Thanks for trying and have a great 2020.

Regards Ingjerd

HP Recommended

@ingjerd If you would have posted the reason for removal of the ODD, I would have suggested the USB adapter too 😉

Either way, I'm glad you've got that under control and good luck, ahead.

If you wish to thank me for my efforts, you could click on "Accept as solution" on my post as the solution should help others too.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

See that second line in my post? "To install a new wifi card I need to open the cover..."  🙂

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.