Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 15 r264dx
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)
I need to know how to shut off my laptop screen while programs are still running to save battery power. I have an HP 15-r264dx 64 bit with windows 8.1. Also please tell me how to turn the screen back on. This computer has a touch sensitive screen.
Ronald Arjune
nor32001@yahoo.com
Https://www.ronaldarjune.com
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Control panel and power options:

set the circled options per the following picturesset the circled options per the following pictures

closing lid does nothingclosing lid does nothing

never sleepnever sleep

These are shots from my laptop I use as a CPU with a docking station as my workstation. The screen stays closed and it never turns off and the screen backlight is off. You need to duplicate these settings per your needs. 

Post back if you need more help and please accept as solution if you got the info you needed. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

You can't just turn off the screen while the laptop is open but you can set it to "do nothing" if you close the lid then set it never to go to sleep. So when you close the lid it will turn off the backlight and save power and when you open it the screen will come back on. The programs will keep running while the screen is closed. 

Post back for more specific instructions if you want to try this. 

HP Recommended
Yes, please me more specific instructions.
Ronald Arjune
nor32001@yahoo.com
HP Recommended

Control panel and power options:

set the circled options per the following picturesset the circled options per the following pictures

closing lid does nothingclosing lid does nothing

never sleepnever sleep

These are shots from my laptop I use as a CPU with a docking station as my workstation. The screen stays closed and it never turns off and the screen backlight is off. You need to duplicate these settings per your needs. 

Post back if you need more help and please accept as solution if you got the info you needed. 

HP Recommended
This is my solution and thank you.
Ronald Arjune
nor32001@yahoo.com
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.