Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I am also surprised that Kristian Vättö is the author of both , the anandtech's review and the samsung's whitepaper.....

Incredible

HP Recommended

@AleR wrote:

I am also surprised that Kristian Vättö is the author of both , the anandtech's review and the samsung's whitepaper.....

Incredible

Absolutely. 

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Buy SSD, make HDD system image, or use software provided by SSD manufactor to clone your HDD and then install your cloned SSD or emty SSD and recover system image form backuo witg OS media installation tool, to do this you need or cable sata usb cable or sata hdd enclosure to connect you ssd first if you clone or if you do recovery from backup image later. Its easy and simple, if you are non techy use youtube many of videos out where how to do this.

HP Recommended
I have an Envy 15z-j100 (product ID: e1r44av). The stock 1tb 5400 rpm HDD died on me, according to the hard drive test I performed (failure ID: ubv9b1-76m8g4-mfgh7g-60ws03). I plan to perform a system restore with a flash drive purchased from HP for $58, since it is out of warranty.

My question: is there a way to replace the old 1tb HDD with a smaller SSD? I've heard that the replacement drive must be at least the size of the original to work, but I don't want to spend $300+ on a 1tb SSD. I went to the crucial website which this post recommended, and there were 2 compatible options for my specific computer model listed that were 275 and 525 MB (both model mx300).

Thanks IA for the help.
HP Recommended

For the HP USB flash drive media to work, the SSD needs to have at least 160 GB storage capacity. 

My own preference is SSDs that are at least 256GB.

The smaller drives don't leave enough storage capacity for programs installed alongside the operating system.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If my post was helpful or you just want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Thank you Erico! Finally some good news.

I will plan on ordering one of the smaller SSDs then, probably the 275MB.

HP Recommended
Erico,

According to the post listed and linked below, the Recovery Media provided by HP will not work unless the hardware is the same. Does anyone know for sure whether the Recovery Media will boot up and install a new SSD that is different from the the original model HDD??

Also could his experience be different bc his notebook is a 15t-j000 and mine is a 15z-j100? Unfortunately I cannot use gbranche's method to migrate the disk, since my HDD is dead.

@gbranch wrote:
Re: Upgrading to SSD on HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition

I have an HP ENVY TouchSmart 15t-j000, and switched the 1TB HDD to a Crucial M500 960GB.  The easiest way to make the switch was to also purchase their 'Easy Laptop Install Kit.' That worked like a champ.  You cannot just use the Recovery Media you created when you set up your laptop, nor will the Recovery Media that you can purchase.  If you want to do a full install, you can get a legal image from Microsoft and then use your windows 8 code.  Again though, I find the easiest method is using the Easy Laptop Install Kit which migrates the entire disc (HDD) over to the new SSD.  Once that is done, I made a recovery image using Acronis True Image, which I keep along with my current backups.  Hope that helps.  By the way, the Crucial site walks you though which SSD is compatible to your particular HP Envy laptop.

HP Recommended

@dlukesmith wrote:
Erico,

According to the post listed and linked below, the Recovery Media provided by HP will not work unless the hardware is the same. Does anyone know for sure whether the Recovery Media will boot up and install a new SSD that is different from the the original model HDD??

Also could his experience be different bc his notebook is a 15t-j000 and mine is a 15z-j100? Unfortunately I cannot use gbranche's method to migrate the disk, since my HDD is dead.

@gbranch wrote:
Re: Upgrading to SSD on HP ENVY 15t-j100 Quad Edition

I have an HP ENVY TouchSmart 15t-j000, and switched the 1TB HDD to a Crucial M500 960GB.  The easiest way to make the switch was to also purchase their 'Easy Laptop Install Kit.' That worked like a champ.  You cannot just use the Recovery Media you created when you set up your laptop, nor will the Recovery Media that you can purchase.  If you want to do a full install, you can get a legal image from Microsoft and then use your windows 8 code.  Again though, I find the easiest method is using the Easy Laptop Install Kit which migrates the entire disc (HDD) over to the new SSD.  Once that is done, I made a recovery image using Acronis True Image, which I keep along with my current backups.  Hope that helps.  By the way, the Crucial site walks you though which SSD is compatible to your particular HP Envy laptop.

Thanks for pointing that thread out to me. I responded to the member's post in the thread.

The member posted information that is not incorrect.  See the original posts to this thread.

I have used the USB recovery media with SSD drives on a number of occasions.

Many other members upgrading to SSD disks have also done that.

In my original reply to Bill_F's question, I described a meeting between HP Experts and HP employees covered that topic at the 2015 HP Meetup in San Francisco.

The only caveat is that the new SSD has to be at least 160 GB of storage capacity.

The best choices for available capacity for an SSD upgrade or emergency replacement is 256 GB or higher.  

HP Recommended
I want to install a m.2 ssd on my HP Envy X360 m6-w103dx. I came to know that not every m.2 ssd is compatible with this laptop. Guys can you please help me out?
https://www.amazon.com/MyDigitalSSD-240GB-256GB-Solid-Bullet/dp/B01BO4IUS4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=14...
Will this be compatible with my laptop? Thanks in advance.
HP Recommended

I am not familiar nor have I ever heard of the brand that is sold at the link to Amazon.com.

The specifications stated by the manufacturer do match your Ultrabook's requirements.

It should be compatible.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.