Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp 15-ef2126wm

Hello,

I have the hp 15-ef2126wm laptop and need to connect it to the ThinkPad Universal Thunderbolt 4 Dock.

The dock uses a USB-C connection to connect to PCs, however the USB-C port on this laptop is not capable of handling that connection.  I have tried a basic USB-C to USB 3 (I think) converter into the other USB ports on the laptop, however that does not work.

Is it possible to utilize another method? Like the HDMI port? or do I need another dock?

I would like to avoid purchasing another dock if possible.

Thank you!

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Your laptop has data only USB-C ports so the Thunderbolt dock will only partially work as you have seen. You will get no video from the dock, for example. Yes, you need a dock with DisplayLink capability. 

https://www.amazon.com/Docking-Quadruple-Monitors-Displaylink-Compatible/dp/B09XJYC5BL/ref=sr_1_1_ss...

Single example above but many more similar options

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Your laptop has data only USB-C ports so the Thunderbolt dock will only partially work as you have seen. You will get no video from the dock, for example. Yes, you need a dock with DisplayLink capability. 

https://www.amazon.com/Docking-Quadruple-Monitors-Displaylink-Compatible/dp/B09XJYC5BL/ref=sr_1_1_ss...

Single example above but many more similar options

HP Recommended

Hello, thank you for the response but that doesn't quite answer all my questions. I would also like to know if I can alternatively route the dock's male USB C connection through a different female port in the laptop; for example, the HDMI.

HP Recommended

Not sure what you think would be accomplished by that but the answer is no. The USB-C cable plugs into a USB-C port. USB-C is a general purpose allowing all types of peripherals to be connected. HDMI is only for video out to a monitor. The problem is your dock is not designed to work fully with the specific type of USB-C port found on your laptop. Don't ask me why but USB-C is not a standard thing. Comes in many levels of usefulness and functionality which the industry does a very poor job of explaining to consumers. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.