Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY dv7 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello

Ive done a clean install of Win 10 on my HP Envydv7 7332ea and now the transfer rate on a USB 3 using the correct cable to a seagate backup drive is sitting at 20 - 23 MB/s 

Ive ensured the latest drivers are there for the seagate drive

Ive changed the policy to better performance in device manager

The BIOS is locked.

Does anyone have any ideas as to how I can get proper USB 3 speeds back?

Regards

K

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

How fast do you expect ? Depending on the file structure on your source and target. 20-23MB/s is a good sspeed. If you've got hundreds of small files, the speed will go down more. Which software do you use for backup ? If only purely copy, please try a product called TeraCopy, this will boot the speed up 10% to 20%

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi,

How fast do you expect ? Depending on the file structure on your source and target. 20-23MB/s is a good sspeed. If you've got hundreds of small files, the speed will go down more. Which software do you use for backup ? If only purely copy, please try a product called TeraCopy, this will boot the speed up 10% to 20%

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Hi 

Thanks for responding so quickly. 

I was expecting 50 to 60 MB/s which i have had in the past. Because my avergae speed seems ot have dropped I wondered if there was a setting amis after the recent install. 

Ill try Teracopy.

Regards

K

HP Recommended

@Foxes_17

Transfering and/or copying small files will not yield the best transfer rate.

Try a free test product such as HP Tune or Disk Speed and set the block transfer size to 8 MB and then see what the transfer speed you obtain.

The transfer speed will vary depending on the USB 3 device.  At best you might see 250 MBs and worst case might be no faster than USB 2 speeds since some of the earlier USB 3 devices while having a USB 3 interface were still using an USB 2 controller.  I have both ends of the USB 3 devices.  One device gets USB 3 speeds while the other will average of 250 MBs.

HP ENVY 6055, HP Deskjet 1112
HP Envy 17", i7-8550u,16GB, 512GB NVMe, 4K screen, Windows 11 x64
Custom PC - Z690, i9-12900K, 32GB DDR5 5600, dual 512 GB NVMe, gen4 2 TB m.2 SSD, 4K screen, OC'd to 5 Ghz, NVIDIA 3080 10GB
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.