Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Omen 17-CB
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello,

I have just purchased a new Omen 17-CB0046NF laptop (17,3" Full HD 144 Hz - NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 8 Go - Intel Core i9-9880H - SSD 512 Go + 32 Go Intel Optane - RAM 32 Go - Windows 10).

It does not come with a HDD but I understand this model has the free place to install it.

I will receive  this new PC it in a couple of days but I am not sure if it will come with the proper brackets and flat SATA cable.

I downloaded the proper maintenance manuel and, if I have found the part number of the cable (L57362-001) I have not found the one of the bracket...

Sorry for the long start but here are my 2 questions :

1- Can I install the new drive without the bracket or just maybe with a homemade one ? 

2- Since the cable is not available as an HP spare part, can I use a similar 3rd party replacement ?

Thank you very much for your advices.

10 REPLIES 10
HP Recommended

See pages 29-36 of the Manual here:

Manual 

The outstanding thing about the Omens is that access for upgrade is allowed for end uers without jeopardizing the waranty.

You need this:

Hard drive connector/cable L57362-001

HP does not have the part in stock:

https://parts.hp.com/hpparts/Search_Results.aspx?mscssid=84D336099F6B4094BE4860A903D55E6B&SearchIn=P...

I am also not finding this in my usual EU parts sources. There is a second M.2 slot. Yours will have an Optane module. That slot could alternately be used for a second M.2 SSD for storage. 

If you do figure a way to mount a 2.5 inch disk in there you can use generic rubber or plastic bumpers like the ones found in this kit to hold the drive in place:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-HDD-Hard-Drive-Cover-Caddy-Rails-for-IBM-Lenovo-Thinkpad-T420-T420i/1...

Post back with any more questions. 

HP Recommended

Thank you, Huffer, for your kind answer.

For the frame / caddy I will try to make fome kind of brackets. It is just bent thin sheet metal afterall.

The HDD cable looks fairly standard to me and the connectors on the motherboard are looking all the same (I have checked several enlarged photos).

Could I use another (available) HP Omen HDD cable or a even third party one ?

I have found this on amazon :

Bracket.jpg

HP Recommended

There has been mixed success using other similar-looking cables. They are not generic but are specific to the zif connection on this motherboard. HP publishes no cross-reference manual so there is no way short of trial and error to know. I would say the newer the model from which you "borrow" a cable the better your chances. If you get one to work it would be a valuable addition to the knowledge base if you let us know that and also if you try one and it does not work. Good luck.  

HP Recommended

I understand.

Nevertheless I will try first with this one I have found on my local amazon :

Screenshot_20191226-102603_Amazon Shopping.jpg

I know it is for th Envy series but with a little luck...

I believe manufacturer do some kind of standardization in components (like zif connectors)  at least to reduce cost.

Anyway, if you can provide me with links or posts that have descriptions of issues encountered with hard disk cables, I would appreciate it.

I also bought a set of screws for laptop (always useful) :

Screenshot_20191226-102732_Amazon Shopping.jpg

And as for the caddy, I believe I can do one myself out of stiff plastic sheet :

Screenshot_20191226-102804_Moon+ Reader Pro.jpg

I will keep you informed of the results, of course.

HP Recommended

This is an old thread where the OP did manage to find a workable cable from another model:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/add-a-second-hard-drive-to-15m...

HP Recommended

Thanks,

It somehow confirm the 12 lead zif cable (with the 5th one removed) being some kind of standard with some HP models.

I have found this one on  the web being refered to as a "genuine " HP part replacement. It looks exactly the same (look at what is written on the ribbon). Image28.jpg

HP Recommended

Since there is no chart for cross-compatibility nobody can say 100% for sure that connector and cable will work but I would say it is very very likely it will. Good luck

HP Recommended

Hello Huffer,

I just received the Omen 17.

Well, some good news and some  less good news...

After opening very carefully (and with some difficulty) the bottom of the new laptop with an old credit card, I found this :

Omen 17-CB0046 - inside.jpg

As you can see they put a big SSD in the place I thought I would find empty for a HHD.

The good news is that there is a bracket and a cable.

The cable installed by HP does look exactly the same as the one I received from Amazon (the picture was mistaken) that is with 12 full lids instead of the one with a missing 5th. I do not know if this lid is used anyway.

The less good news is what do I do now ?

One option is to buy a new SSD like one of these (please tell me the one you think best), copy all the files from the big ssd to it, and find a way to boot from it... Moneywise that would be still a good bargain.

Samsung 960 PRO.jpg

Samsung 970 PRO.png

After that I always can put the hard disk in its place.

Looks simple in theory but the question is : how do I do that ? Is it possible ?

I am a bit on the edge of my field of competence here...

My second option is to use the HDD for another use (my ps4 could use some extra storage) and I would buy a ssd of 1Tb or 2Tb to put in the empty slot for data storage. This my be simpler.

What would be the best option in your opinion ?

I will post this question also in a new thread, not to pollute this one.

Thank you very much for your help.

HP Recommended

i own cb00017ur with 512ssd and no hdd. I though to provide the same upgrade, but it seems they use 512SSD in a 3.5 apperance, so it seems i appear in the same situation with no free slot for HDD. Thinking to setup cheap 1Tb SSD into free SSD slot i have.
I did not open the cover yet, just searched for the cable part and found this tread. Thanks for your info!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.