Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-p009TX
Windows 8.1

I want to stop overtpying while typing. When I click using the cursor on the typed text it highlights a letter in the word instead of getting the cursor between letters. When I start typing it over writes the words ahead of it. How do I stop this?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi Malygris1,

Thanks for the reply. The link you sent me didn't quite help. However after typing the question on the blog earlier I decided to restart my computer. The problem didn't occur again.

I don't think I toggled the overtype function and it must have been a glitch between my touchpad and the wireless mouse I was using. When I had the problem I tried to untoggle the insert function by pressing the "fn" key and the "0/ins" key or using the "fn" key and the "prstsc/ins" key at the sametime. It didn't seem to work because I must have been switching it on and off without seeing a difference.

Everything is fine now. I now know how to toggle it on and off by holding the "fn" function key and the "0/ins" or "prt sc/ins" key at the same time.

Thanks anyway  

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi @LightningWolf 

Welcome to the HP Support Forums!

I understand that you are overwriting text when typing. From how you wrote the problem, I am unclear as to whether the <Insert> key is working or not. Normally it is a toggle to enable/disable the Insert function.

If it does not work or does not seem to respond, then I would suggest:

Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting (Windows 😎

Let me know if that helped.

Malygris1
I work on behalf of HP
Please click Accept as Solution if you feel my post solved your issue, it will help others find the solution.
Click Kudos Thumbs Up on the right to say “Thanks” for helping!
HP Recommended

Hi Malygris1,

Thanks for the reply. The link you sent me didn't quite help. However after typing the question on the blog earlier I decided to restart my computer. The problem didn't occur again.

I don't think I toggled the overtype function and it must have been a glitch between my touchpad and the wireless mouse I was using. When I had the problem I tried to untoggle the insert function by pressing the "fn" key and the "0/ins" key or using the "fn" key and the "prstsc/ins" key at the sametime. It didn't seem to work because I must have been switching it on and off without seeing a difference.

Everything is fine now. I now know how to toggle it on and off by holding the "fn" function key and the "0/ins" or "prt sc/ins" key at the same time.

Thanks anyway  

HP Recommended

Press Shift and the Zero button at the same time to enable and desable the annoying Insert function.

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!!

HP Recommended

THANK YOU!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.