Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp laptop 17t-by200
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Newly purchased machine,

Built by HP approx. 1 1/2 weeks ago and received a couple days ago.

Model name

hp laptop 17t-by200
product number
73f25av

Surprised I cannot find any documentation, technical specs or information in HP Support Assistant that describes the maximum supported amounts of RAM and storage (both SATA and m.2).

I can only put together information by viewing what is already in the machine (Type of RAM, form factor and DDR type)

and the upgrade options in the HP store.

I suspect that memory and storage capability far exceeds any existing manufactured products so physical connections and form factor might be the only requirements but I'd want to verify that.

Am specifically looking for any information whether

Installed RAM can exceed 16GB (modules larger than 8GB)

If a SSD or HDD can be installed in the 2.5" drive bay that exceeds 2TB (am looking at a 4TB drive).

TIA.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Am posting an update so that anyone else who may need to do a similar investigation can do so.

On the advice of someone I know,

I did a query at an aftermarket memory manufacturer to see what that manufacturer's recommendation might be,

And he recommended www.crucial.com.

Although their hardware probing tool was unable to identify this machine,

When I manually entered the model name, it was in the website's database.

Bottom line is that regarding memory, Crucial believes that this system supports 16GB DDR4 memory modules(32GB total), not just the 8GB memory modules described in HP documentation.

And, although not very specific, suggested that the disk controller is the "Intel 300 series"

That's probably enough to get a general idea although not certain about this system, particularly since...

I have also discovered that this machine

- The 2.5" drive bay has enough room to accommodate a 15mm height drive(so a 4GB HDD is likely possible) but only with non-standard customization, so if anyone were to not adhere to the 9mm drive height, you do so at your own risk (but can be done)

- The m.2 slot is inexplicably SSD only, and not NVME. What a disappointment in my case. I would have thought that no systemboard manufactured within the past 2 years should be SSD only (NVME slots support both NVME and SSD), but that's what is on this machine.

Thank you to anyone who read this posting for your attention, and I hope that this posting will be helpful for others that follow behind me.

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@Putztzu 

It is a CTO machine therefore you won't find its specs but you should be able to find a list of options. For upgrading, please use a manual called Maintenance and Service Guide on the following link

https://support.hp.com/us-en/product/hp-envy-17-k200-notebook-pc-series/7527536/model/7757409/manual...

You can find all information on the first few pages.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Thanks, but I suspect the information in that Manual is likely very out of date, created when the notebook line launched its first model some years ago. 

For instance, I don't know how accurate, I found a UK business offering upgrades to 2GB disk drives which makes sense because I can't think of a normal reason why disk sizes should be limited to 1.5TB... things like MBR and possibly INTBIOS13 issues which are bothersome when encountered but can usually be overcome.

Was hoping if HP didn't just state max specifications in its documentation that hardware components would be identified in documentation from which specs for them could be researched. 

Short of that, I guess I'll be looking for a utility that can probe the hardware for identification... Windows System Information won't give me what is needed, so if I can't  find  a 3rd party utility that runs on Windows, I may create a Linux LiveCD for probing the system.

As of now, I'd assume that since the CPU is Intel, the memory and disk controllers have to be Intel as well (I've installed the Intel Optane and Storage Manager which recognizes the manufacturer installed disks but doesn't do more)

If you have any other suggestions, I'd appreciate, Thx.

HP Recommended

Am posting an update so that anyone else who may need to do a similar investigation can do so.

On the advice of someone I know,

I did a query at an aftermarket memory manufacturer to see what that manufacturer's recommendation might be,

And he recommended www.crucial.com.

Although their hardware probing tool was unable to identify this machine,

When I manually entered the model name, it was in the website's database.

Bottom line is that regarding memory, Crucial believes that this system supports 16GB DDR4 memory modules(32GB total), not just the 8GB memory modules described in HP documentation.

And, although not very specific, suggested that the disk controller is the "Intel 300 series"

That's probably enough to get a general idea although not certain about this system, particularly since...

I have also discovered that this machine

- The 2.5" drive bay has enough room to accommodate a 15mm height drive(so a 4GB HDD is likely possible) but only with non-standard customization, so if anyone were to not adhere to the 9mm drive height, you do so at your own risk (but can be done)

- The m.2 slot is inexplicably SSD only, and not NVME. What a disappointment in my case. I would have thought that no systemboard manufactured within the past 2 years should be SSD only (NVME slots support both NVME and SSD), but that's what is on this machine.

Thank you to anyone who read this posting for your attention, and I hope that this posting will be helpful for others that follow behind me.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.