Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion X360 14m-cd0003dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I currently have a 125gb m.2 SSD in the x360. I am not sure if my model is able to use a 2.5" ssd. I have a 500gb Samsung 860 evo SSD that i am wanting to use instead of having to go out and purchase a seperate m.2. There is not ribbon or mount currently in the case and so rubber pads where it look like it could be installed. Not sure if i can purchase a mount and ribon to make it work or I am stuck with m.2 for this model. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Start on p. 33 for instructions:

Manual

Open the back and you see this:

Hard drive = red rectangle M.2 = blue circleHard drive = red rectangle M.2 = blue circle

The answer is yes you can have a 2.5 inch SSD but you need to have the hard drive rubber sleeve and cable. The cable comes off the left end of the drive in the picture above and connects at the point labelled "1"  in the picture to a little zif connector on the motherboard. 

At a minimum you need the cable:

Hard drive cable L18218-001

You can do without the foil and with an SSD you could get by without the rubber sleeve although if possible I would get it. I believe yours is considered a "full featured" model not a "full featured plus" model. 

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Hard-Drive-HDD-Cable-HP-Pavilion-X360-14M-CD0001DX-450-0E807-0021-L1821...

Frankly any kind of rubber sleeve of approximately the correct size would work, like this one which is for a slightly different model. Might need to trim it a bit with an Xacto knife but it would work to hold the drive in place inside the laptop:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/924283-001-HP-RUBBER-SLEEVE-HDD-for-Pavilion-14M-BA015DX-Notebook/143050967...

Post back with any more questions and please accept as solution if its the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

So i can add a SSD 2.5" drive to this model in the blank space on bottom left? Just need the ribbon and rubber cage?

Also where can i get the rubber sleeve? I cant not seem to find it anywhere. ALso do i need the metal support/mount to screw the sdd into?

HP Recommended

The rubber sleeve serves the same function on this model as the metal "sled" on other models. I could not find the rubber sleeve specifically for your model either which is why I suggested the alternate part. The rubber sleeve has notches in it where plastic flanges built into the case hold it in place like a metal bracket. So to answer directly no there is no need for a metal bracket or sled and even the rubber sleeve could be omitted as long as you rig up something to hold the SSD in place. Remember it has no moving parts so is a little more forgiving than a spinning hard drive. The cable is essential, however. 

Please accept as solution if this is the info you needed. 

HP Recommended

Will this L18218-001 cable also work for installing a 2.5" 500 GB SSD into my hp pavilion x360 convertible 14-ba0xx laptop?

HP Recommended
Spoiler

So I know that I have a working 2.5" SSD because when I attach the drive using a SATA to USB 3.0 cable my computer recognizes the driver and all the files attached. Although, when I install the SSD into the 2.5" driver slot into my computer and connect it via the hard drive cable, the computer does not recognize the driver. I think that my hard drive cable could be defective but I just bought it since my computer did not come with one already installed. This is because my computer comes with a m.2 128GB Sandisk SSD installed in it. How do I fix this issue? 

HP Recommended

You possibly do not have the right cable. Where did you get it?

HP Recommended

I bought it from amazon. It could be that it may not be compatible for my model computer. I have a pavilion x360 convertible 14m-ba011dx. I've searched for a cable for this model but have come up with no definite answers. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.