Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I just received my new hp x360 13.3. I bought a usb c hub. I know this is not an HP. I just want to remove this message "HP recommends using an original power adapter from HP" every time. I saw some old post to remove some filename. This post was for windows 7. I would like to know on W10, how to remove this message?

18 REPLIES 18
HP Recommended

Hi! @paulkho, Welcome to HP forums.

I understand that you need to know how to remove adapter pop up from your PC.

Don't worry I will try to help you out.

Did you make any software or hardware changes to your PC?

Please try the steps recommended below.

This could be your Hp support assistant which is giving you pop ups every now and then
You can go HP Support assistant go to settings 
Uncheck the boxes- chose how you would like to be notified.
Click save and exit

If the issue persists, Try the steps recommended below.

1- C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch

2- Delete file HP CnbToaster.dll

3- Delete file HPUSRMSG.exe

4- Delete file HP Smart Adapter Help

Let me know if this works!

Have a beautiful day ahead! 🙂

A4Apollo
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I have an HP Spectre X360 and I get this same message. HP Support Assistant is not intalled, and those files you specify don't exist. Any ideas?

HP Recommended

It is now October 6, 2017.  I have a new Spectre with a USB C hub in the power cord chain that is not HP.  The files described previously do not exist on the laptop but I still get the message.  How do I make it go away.

HP Recommended

I stopped this window from popping up by renaming the file USBCMSG.exe to USBCMSG.old.exe

Now the HP management software can't find it and render the popup.  Just beware that there will probably be other, more useful, messages also disbled.  Messages having to do with your USB-C ports, obviously.

HP Recommended

1- C:\Program Files (x86)\Hewlett-Packard\HP Quick Launch does not exist on my PC...what are my options now to make  this dialog cease and desist?

2-How hard would it be to include a "Don't Show This Message Again" check box such as on many start up screens?  Certainly a more friendly solution than the current nagging about the power adaptor!

HP Recommended

I found it in C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP System Event.  I renamed USBCMSG.exe to USBCMSG.exe.old as the above poster said and it fixed it for me.

A good tip: I found the file by opening Task Manager after the popup came up (and while it was still open), and right-clicking on the HP System Information program and then selecting Open File Location.

Cheers!

-Dave

HP Recommended

Brilliant!  It worked.  

Great tip on finding the file locations

Thanks

HP Recommended

@Tomahawkchop - thanks for the answer and, more importantly, for the tip on tracking down similar issues in the future.  Truly a "teach a man to fish" moment.

Best,

-C

HP Recommended

Two problems with the "power addaptor" dialog.  First, it is in-accurate - there is nothing wrong with using third party adaptors now that the standard is being followed - that is the WHOLE point of having USB-C power (and one of the main reeasons I bought HP).  Second, if HP want to notify customer of issues then how about make the dialog look something like Windows 10 instead of Windows 3???  Fully agree a nice "don't show that again" check box is a MUST.

Thanks, JeffENG

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.