Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Notebook
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

When I start up, the computer seems to be typing by itself, filling the password field over and over.  Sometime this occurs in the address bar and other field, and asterisks appear by the dozens/hundreds.  While this is happening the mouse seems to be disabled.  It's hard to explain it's very frustrating.  Can anyone help?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hello, @mcapp1 – Hope you are well 🙂

Allow me to welcome to HP Support Forums! It is a great platform to get help from the community, get suggestions and find what has worked for others!

I understand that you are having issues with the HP notebook where the ‘*’ key is filling your password field and the address bar. I will do my best to help you fix this issue 🙂

I suspect this issue is because the asterisk key is physically stuck in the down position. We can try and fix this issue by cleaning the underside of the key.

Go to http://hp.care/2g2MKsl and follow the steps under “Stuck notebook key”.

Those steps should do the trick, let me know the outcome!

Good luck 🙂

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

Please click "Accepted as Solution" on the post that solves your issue to help others find the solution. To show appreciation for my help, please click the "Thumbs Up Icon" below!

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
HP Recommended
I followed the steps and restarted the computer. The password screen still filled up and once in any program the asterisk key no longer works, so I don't think it was "stuck" to begin with.
HP Recommended

Hello, @mcapp1

Thanks for the reply & appreciate your efforts 🙂

Let's try performing a keyboard test to check and isolate the issue further.

First, open the command prompt window. Press the windows logo key + R to open the run window. Type "cmd" and press enter to get the command prompt.

The black command prompt window opens. Test your keyboard here by pressing different keys.

Check whether the * key is behaving any differently here.

Also, I would appreciate if you can run a keyboard test using the UEFI.
Go to http://hp.care/2bOrqZQ and run the component test. Select keyboard and check whether the test is passed.

Let me know how that goes!

Good luck 🙂

DVortex
I am not an HP Employee
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.