Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
OMEN by HP 15-dc0003na
Microsoft Windows 11

HI there,

My Omen 15 laptop is showing as not plugged in even though I have the power adapter plugged in and turned on.   I've checked the following with no joy

• tried other power outlets 
  • checked the power adaptor cables for feeling of weakness or kinks - nothing obvious.
  • the adaptor plugs into the laptop doesn't feel that loose
  • I've wiggled the cable and plug a fair bit to see if that shows it as plugged in
  • I've updated the BIOS on the laptop 
  • I've checked the plug inner pin to check it's not bent etc.  I can't tell if it's been pushed in at all - it doesn't look like it has.

Strangely after trying loads of different things (including adjusting the power settings to be Balanced etc), I plugged in the adaptor and it worked and it registered as plugged in and charging.    Unfortunately this has been a one off and I have not been able to recreate this scenario again and I'm watching the battery run out.

If I plug the adaptor in to the laptop without powering it on and then turn the power on, the battery icon briefly changes to show the "plugged in" icon before reverting back to the battery only icon.  Does this suggest that the adaptor can get power to the laptop in some form albeit briefly.

I'm not sure what to do.  Does this sound like the adaptor or the laptop is at fault?

Any advice would be welcome,

Thanks,

Ali

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Its inexpensive to try a new adapter. A motherboard problem with the charging circuit is very expensive. You might see if you can get the adapter tested for output or just buy a generic replacement adapter and see if it works. From the description it could be either but I say it seems a bit more likely its the adapter given that the laptop sees it even briefly. It might also be the power jack but if that is a problem the plug generally feels loose. 

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Its inexpensive to try a new adapter. A motherboard problem with the charging circuit is very expensive. You might see if you can get the adapter tested for output or just buy a generic replacement adapter and see if it works. From the description it could be either but I say it seems a bit more likely its the adapter given that the laptop sees it even briefly. It might also be the power jack but if that is a problem the plug generally feels loose. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick reply.   I was looking at OEM adapters which weren't that cheap and I couldn't work out if they're just knocks offs as HP parts doesn't seem to stock the adaptor (917677-001 or 917649-850).   It's quite a specific power rating (150W / 19.5V / 7.7A) - is there any particular issue using generic adaptors if I can get hold of one that meets the power rating?    Thanks for your advice.

HP Recommended

It is harder to find generics in the bigger capacities like 150W. But no, there is not a problem using a generic adapter. eBay UK is an excellent source and you should have the option to go generic or genuine. 

150 W PFC SMART 4.5 mm Slim 917649-850

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/165554003806?hash=item268bc99f5e:g:fnoAAOSwo9divJlu

Hard to make an AC adapter with that much power for less than that. 

Genuine just a bit more:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/114784356612?epid=2146976471&hash=item1ab9ae4904:g:DX4AAOSwo~Jhe2b0

HP Recommended

Thanks for that - I really appreciate you taking the time to reply.  I'll go get a replacement adaptor and hope that's the issue.  I'll update this post once I get to that point.

HP Recommended

Thanks for your help - it was the power supply.  I got hold of a replacement and  the laptop is now powered and charging.

HP Recommended

Good to hear. Glad to have helped. Enjoy. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.