Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Hp m6-p113dx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hello I would like to upgrade the graphics proccessing units of my laptop. I primarily use it as a gaming laptop but the graphic are never ver smooth and it lags. I have upgraded the ram to 12 gb and would like to know if i can i upgrade the gpu. If i can upgrade the gpu what would you reccomend that would do well with some of the newer games being released.

Thank you for your help sincerily-Jack

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That would get you an SSD and another 8 gigs of RAM I think. 

You never go back because it is so fast to use...nearly instant on and programs pop open and stuff happens fast. Once you see that you are too impatient for it to be slow again. 

View solution in original post

31 REPLIES 31
HP Recommended

Common question and unfortunately the same answer. No, the laptop's graphics processor is soldered on the motherboard. There is no way to remove it and replace with something else. And this is true for perhaps 99% of laptops in existence. 

In your case it is a little more complicated because video is done in the processor, but your model also has the processor (called an APU) soldered on. And you have the best motherboard and video and processor combination offered in your model series so you could not even put in a different motherboard. There is no upgrade path, in other words. 

HP Recommended

can i make it any faster

HP Recommended

With gaming, no not really. For general use like how fast it boots up and opens programs, likely yes. 

You already did 12 gigs RAM and I would recommend 16 so you have 2 matched modules and can have "dual channel" (helps video a little bit)  and you have a 1 TB 5400 rom hard drive and a solid state drive would make a huge difference in general Windows performance. 

HP Recommended

I have 12 gigs if i upgraded to 16 would it help at all

HP Recommended

also how much would a solid state drive cost

HP Recommended

I was just changing my answer as you typed that. Yes I would have actually recommended you do 8 gigs rather than 12 just so you have 2 modules the same. But now that you bought an 8 gig module you might as well get another. I don't want to give you unreasonable expectations on what that will do, however. Very small improvement. The SSD is huge, however. Once you have used a computer with an SSD you will never go back. 

HP Recommended

SSDs are not cheap. You need to get at least a 500 gig and those cost $100-175 depending on how good a sale you catch. 

HP Recommended

why is that, sorry im making this so confusing im just not that good at this kind of techy stuff 

HP Recommended

Why is what?

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.