Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Microsoft Windows 11

I have an HP 14-fq0050nr & I was trying to upgrade the RAM. I bought a 16 gig DDR4-3200. When I installed the new RAM the computer gives me a blank screen. But the caps lock light flashes. I reinstalled in case it was in incorrectly same thing. Reinstalled the old one which for some reason says Samsung on it and it booted right up. Also there is not an extra slot to add additional to the original. Was 16 gig too large? Crucial said it would be fine. Also successfully added A - M. 2 SSD pcie 3.0 . There was not one at all before. 

IMG_20240420_213527.jpg

21 REPLIES 21
HP Recommended

 the laptop is just a bit too slow and I was hoping both upgrades would make this manageable to use daily

IMG_20240422_115410.jpg

HP Recommended

I'm interested in learning how you were able to get a NVMe SSD to work in your notebook.

There is not one person out of many that have tried to install a NVMe SSD in a 14-fq0xxx notebook that has a 64 GB eMMC drive and gotten it to work.

The drive does not show up in the BIOS or in Windows and no one can get the notebook to recognize the drive.

Adding NVMe m.2 sdd to hp 14-fq0032od - HP Support Community - 9037649

Regarding your question...

What brand memory did you install and what are the specs on the label?

DR4-3200 memory should work but it has to be CL22 and it must be 1Rx8 or 2Rx8.

If it is 1Rx16 or has a different CL speed, that generally will not work.

I would have opted for the Crucial 16 GB DDR4-2400 memory chip.

Your notebook's processor can't run the memory any faster than 2400 MHz anyway.

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT16G4SFD824A | Crucial.com

I believe other folks have installed a 16 GB memory chip in the single slot.

HP Recommended

The original is SAMSUNG

17138261137568839503965487788358.jpg

"4gb 1RX16 PC4-3200AA-SC0-11"

HP Recommended

I'm surprised that the 16 GB  DDR4-3200 Crucial memory didn't work. 

The only suggestion I can offer would be to try the DDR4-2400  Crucial memory chip. 

HP Recommended

Hello Francescasd.

We've been having many problems with the Crucial SFRA32A modules, especially the 16GB ones. The problem involves compatibility with the NON-DualRank modules. However, in your case you purchased the "CT16G4SFRA32A.M16FE", which according to this page is a dual-rank (2Rx8) 16GB module (C16/M16=dual-rank) and should have worked fine. That is if your system actually supports 16GB RAM modules.

According to the manual for your system and the Crucial upgrade page for the HP 14-fq0050nr laptop, the largest capacity modules compatible with your motherboard are 8GB modules. I checked Crucial's site and it lists only 8GB modules as compatible for the 14-fq systems with these (AMD 3020e) CPUs. The other CPUs are shown as having support for 16GB modules as well. There is only one RAM slot due to the CPU being an AMD 3020e, as explained in this thread: https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebook-Hardware-and-Upgrade-Questions/Upgrade-RAM-HP-14s-fq0000-Lapt....

I haven't seen anyone report a successful upgrade to 16GB RAM on these systems on the HP forum. I did some research though and there are several listings of these laptops sold online with 16GB RAM:  HP 14z-fq000 (Amazon)   HP 14z-fq000 (Walmart)    HP 14z-fq000 (Sears)     HP 14-fq000 (Kmart).

There's a lot of contradicting information here. Crucial is usually right about these things. Paul, are we sure that these weaker CPUs -the AMD 3020e- support 16GB modules?

HP Recommended

Hi, @TzortzisG 

I'm pretty sure that the AMD 3020e processor will support 1 x 16 GB but since the memory installed was 2Rx8, it should have been plug and play.

This link shows the processor will support 32 GB but that would be with two memory slots.

AMD 3020e (gadgetversus.com)

I also bet that if @Francescasd runs this command, the result will be 33,xxx,xxx, which would be 32 GB because the report is picking up the circuitry for the missing second memory slot, therefore leaving 1 x 16 GB as supported.

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator.

This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacityEx and press the Enter key.

There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

HP Recommended

Thank you. Yes, this seems to be the case. It's possible that somehow the 3200 RAM speed is the problem. I wonder how Crucial got this wrong and why it has made this distinction for the 14-fq0000 models with the AMD 3020e CPU.

It's also interesting that the Amazon link shows the model sold with a 2TB PCIe drive.....

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't know of any forum member that was able to get a NVMe SSD to work in any 14-fq0xxx model that has the 64 GB eMMC drive.  Only SATA M.2 SSDs seem to work.

I only provided a small fraction of posts where folks installed NVMe SSDs in their 14-fq0xxx notebooks with the 64 GB eMMC drives and could not get them to work.

There has to be at least a dozen situations like those.

I still don't get why the 3200 MHZ memory didn't work. 

It should have automatically bridged to 2400 MHz just like the 4 GB Samsung chip HP installed.

Might be better to play it safe and install the 8 GB chip.

HP Recommended

Thank you for all of your research. I just typed out a response, but I think it's best that I ask you- were you able to look at the picture I left in a comment above? It seems as though it already supports the sizing im trying to go with, but I have a theory or question - has anyone seen the original as a SAMSUNG? I was 1 of 8 who did the testing for Android in America and remained a liaison for years- my point in referencing this, is I hated Samsung sub system/ interface & preloaded apps etc. Do we potentially think that this computer is locked only to the Samsung card? I guess I'll buy a crucial 8gb today and try that, but it was hp directly that stated I could use the one I purchased. Very weird. Also, I think the dual slots might be the key factor in this as well. Thank you for confirming that

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.