Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 14-cm0012nr
Microsoft Windows 10 (32-bit)

Native SSD storage is tiny, unable to support current Win upgrades. How do I install a larger SSD or other storage device please?

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

You cannot. Its an eMMC storage soldered to the motherboard. These "Cloudbooks" are a source of consumer dissatisfaction and we have tried to put some solutions out there. This is a Knowledge Base article I did but warning its a little technical:

https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Notebooks-Knowledge-Base/Updating-Windows-10-OS-on-an-HP-Stream-with-3...

The single best thing you can do is to insert an SD card and use it for storage of documents and pictures and such to keep them off the eMMC. Post back if you have any more questions. 

HP Recommended

Dear Huffer,

Thanks for the prompt response. Have removed the case to examine my basket case Pavilion. I'm afraid that you are completely wrong about the storage constructon of the machine... and the likely outcome. The 'drive' is a weird looking, but separate, pcb marked M.2, screwed to the chassis and connected to the M/B with a ribbon cable. It looks as though this could be replaced by a 2.5" drive but would need a caddy and the correct ribbon cable/connector. However, there is no guide as to the pin-outs used by the ribbon connector as not all are used. In the 'good old days' Compaq/HP used to quote EVERY part number for a specified machine S/N. What went wrong?

Regards, Nostore

HP Recommended

That information is still out there to people who know how to find it. Good luck. 

HP Recommended

Hi,

Adopted a very satisfactory Plan B! Have disposed of the awful Microsoft O.S. bloatware and installed Linux Mint Cinnamon. Goes faster and has plenty of space. Would suggest that you make this the default recommendation to all users of these cramped lemons.

Regards,

Nostore

HP Recommended

Not 1 out of 100 people can or is willing to install or use Linux. Shame. I have Linux installed on the one Cloudbook I own. Works fine. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the reply. Only tech issue was the cheap and nasty wireless comms card native on the board. However, a few bucks sourced a suitable Intel version to replace it. My wife now loves the machine!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.