Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15 Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Hello everyone. I have a HP 15 Laptop that has been giving me problems lately. I upgraded my RAM from the original 4 GBs to 16 GBs about 8 months ago. It was doing great for gaming and stuff like that. BUT recently, the laptop has been giving me problems with games that I could run previously(Examples: Rocket League, Overwatch, The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim, Saints Row IV, Subnautica, and H1Z1 to name a few). I know that I shouldn't be able to run some of these games on this system. I have an AMD HD 8400 Integrated Graphics card in here that only puts out 512 MBs of VRAM. I have a quick question: Could I upgrade the motherboard, GPU, and CPU of my model? Or do I have to just get another laptop all together? I don't have enough room in my apartment for a desktop at the moment so that's the reason why I am asking this question. And unfortunately, I don't have enough credit to finance a laptop right now. My drivers are all up to date as far as I know as well. Any answer would be appreciated. 

My system specs are as follows: 

System Model: HP 15 Notebook PC

Processor: AMD A6-5200 with Radeon HD Graphics, 2.0 Ghz Quad Core

GPU: AMD Radeon HD 8400 / R3 Series

RAM: 16 GBs (2 8 GB sticks)

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Thank you for telling me. My issue is still not resolved though. Thanks for trying, though. I know that my HP 15 isn't meant to run games though but they worked for a while before being unable to. That's what I don't understand. Oh well....if I cannot receive any info on why that is happening now,  I will find out on my own why my computer cannot handle those games anymore when they did a little while ago. 

Good day

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

@krakaholyknight

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 

I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. 

As I understand you are unable to play certain games on your HP 15 notebook,

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, however, to provide an accurate resolution, I need a few more details: 

Have you recently install any updates from windows?

Did you that upgrading your product to the extent of playing games with high FPS may be rather expensive?

That said, I'm afraid your HP 15 is not designed for gaming, it's purpose if everyday computing and hence I would request you not to overload the computer with HD games such as the ones you've mentioned as this computer cannot handle it, to know about HP Laptops designed for gaming: Click here

You could try reducing the resolution on the in-game settings and switch the windows settings to performance rather than visual effects to make a minor change, however, the game may heat up your PC, hence make sure you are using a cooling pad as well, to be on a safer side.

Here's how you change windows settings:

• Go to Start Menu > click on Settings.
  • Type performance > choose Adjust the appearance and performance of Windows. 
  • In the new window, go to the Visual Effects and select Adjust for best performance.
  • click Apply and ok...this should do the trick.

Keep me posted,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thank you for telling me. My issue is still not resolved though. Thanks for trying, though. I know that my HP 15 isn't meant to run games though but they worked for a while before being unable to. That's what I don't understand. Oh well....if I cannot receive any info on why that is happening now,  I will find out on my own why my computer cannot handle those games anymore when they did a little while ago. 

Good day

HP Recommended
Thank you for telling me. My issue is still not resolved though. Thanks for trying, though. I know that my HP 15 isn't meant to run games though but they worked for a while before being unable to. That's what I don't understand. Oh well....if I cannot receive any info on why that is happening now, I will find out on my own why my computer cannot handle those games anymore when they did a little while ago. Good day
HP Recommended

@krakaholyknight

Thank you for responding,

It's great to have you back 😉

I understand your concern and the fact that this could be frustrating,

however, as I had mentioned earlier, you could always reduce the visual effects on Windows that could have increased after the last windows update that may have caused the issue you currently have.

If that doesn't help, perhaps, make use of a cooling pad to evade any heating issues,

And Let me know how it goes,

If the information I've provided was helpful, 

give us some reinforcement by clicking the solution and kudos buttons, 

that'll help us and others see that we've got the answers!

Good Luck.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.