Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
EliteBook 840
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)
I have the above laptop with 256gb SSD but I know it will be short of capacity. I've been told I can fit it with 1TB RAM by using either a sandisc 1tb x400m.2 Sata high speed SSD. Or a sandisc x400 1tb 2.5 Sata performance SSD. Please can anyone advise which disc is suitable
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You are doing just fine, ma'am. 

I actually have a very similar laptop, the Zbook 15 G3 and mine came with just a hard drive and I have since added an SSD and an M.2 mSSD to it and a video card so I am familiar with what you can do and how you should proceed. 

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See the diagram on page 41. The dark rectangular thing is a 2.5 inch hard drive or solid state drive, SATA interface and the thinner rectangular thing to the left of that with the image showing how to turn the screw imposed over it is the smaller M.2 type hard drive:

Your laptop takes either the SATA variety M.2 mSSD disk or the PCi-e (NVME) kind. On that all you need to think is fast (SATA) and faster (NVME). So the two Sandisk options you ask about represent examples of either the bigger dark thing or the smaller drive. If you replace the smaller drive you are going to have to reload the software onto it. If you just add one of the 2.5 inch drives you can just stick it in there and use it for storage and move your documents, pictures, etc. onto it. That is the setup I have. My OS is on a 256 gig NVME M.2 and then I have a 500 gig SATA 2.5 inch SSD for storage. Plenty for me, but you feel you need 1 TB.

So, moving on, the issue for your adding a 2.5 inch drive is whether HP provided you with the mounting hardare which you would need to install the drive. Since my laptop was delivered with a 2.5 inch drive, it included that hardware. Since yours did not include a 2.5 inch drive maybe yours does not have it. 

So if you can please clarify what you want to do. If reinstalling software is a problem then you definitely want to just add a 2.5 inch drive. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

It is not RAM it is storage. There are 3 version of the 840, G1, G2, G3 and answer might be different for different models. Can we have your Product Number. Hit fn + esc as you power up and product number will be displayed. 

HP Recommended
It's G3 with I5 processor 2.4GHz 8GB RAM. Sorry I'm 64 years old and very new to this
HP Recommended

You are doing just fine, ma'am. 

I actually have a very similar laptop, the Zbook 15 G3 and mine came with just a hard drive and I have since added an SSD and an M.2 mSSD to it and a video card so I am familiar with what you can do and how you should proceed. 

Here is the Service Manual:

Manual

See the diagram on page 41. The dark rectangular thing is a 2.5 inch hard drive or solid state drive, SATA interface and the thinner rectangular thing to the left of that with the image showing how to turn the screw imposed over it is the smaller M.2 type hard drive:

Your laptop takes either the SATA variety M.2 mSSD disk or the PCi-e (NVME) kind. On that all you need to think is fast (SATA) and faster (NVME). So the two Sandisk options you ask about represent examples of either the bigger dark thing or the smaller drive. If you replace the smaller drive you are going to have to reload the software onto it. If you just add one of the 2.5 inch drives you can just stick it in there and use it for storage and move your documents, pictures, etc. onto it. That is the setup I have. My OS is on a 256 gig NVME M.2 and then I have a 500 gig SATA 2.5 inch SSD for storage. Plenty for me, but you feel you need 1 TB.

So, moving on, the issue for your adding a 2.5 inch drive is whether HP provided you with the mounting hardare which you would need to install the drive. Since my laptop was delivered with a 2.5 inch drive, it included that hardware. Since yours did not include a 2.5 inch drive maybe yours does not have it. 

So if you can please clarify what you want to do. If reinstalling software is a problem then you definitely want to just add a 2.5 inch drive. 

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended
That's really helpful. Thank you
HP Recommended

I was adding to it when you accepted solution. Read the whole thing, please. 

HP Recommended
The laptop has not arrived yet so I'm not sure what it is fitted with. I'm expecting it early next week and so will check and get back to you. I'll wait to order the new SSD then. Thanks again.
HP Recommended

Feel free. If you post again I will be notified and we can come back and figure it out. 

HP Recommended
You are very kind. Thank you
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.