Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion x360 - 14-ba103ng
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi Community,

Need help!

I have  x360 convertible laptop which came with 128GB SSD and 1TB HDD. 

I want to upgrade my default 128Gb [sandisk sd8sn8u-256g-1006] Solid State Drive to M2 PCIe NVMe 1TB and keep my 1TB HDD in the laptop. but the hp manual is not very clear about the upgrade. I contacted HP support and I got the supported upgrade details. see the below image.   but I couldN't able figure out about an upgrade.

I am in a bit emergency situation. I have to increase the speed of my computer please help me with SSD upgrade,

I want to upgrade RAM as well, currently have DDR4 8 GB and I want another 8 Gb. in my hp assistant account showing maximum capacity is 32GB, This i don't understand. could you please help me what is it, how much RAM i can upgrade.

Thanks in Advance.

I want to know whether my notebook supports PCIe NVMe 1TB SSD or any other alternative to install SSD.

image.png

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Chapter 1 of the manual indicates the max is 12 GB, but that can't be right.

It must be 16 GB.

Some HP notebooks that have the Intel 8th gen core processors support 2 x 16 GB of memory.

You can do this to find out exactly how much memory your PC can run...

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator. This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacity and hit enter. There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

View solution in original post

9 REPLIES 9
HP Recommended

Hi:

I am looking at the service manual on the model series' support page.

HP Pavilion 14-ba100 x360 Convertible PC Manuals | HP® Customer Support

It seems to be different than the one you showed in your screenshot.

Chapter 1 of the manual shows this...

Storage Support for hard drive and solid-state drive
Hard drive:
Support for 6.35-cm (2.5-in) hard drives in 7.2-mm and 7.0-mm (0.28-in) thicknesses (all hard drives use
the same bracket)
Support for Accelerometer hard drive protection
Support for 1-TB, 5400-rpm, 7.2-mm and 500-GB, 5400-rpm, 7.0-mm hard drives
Support for Serial Advanced Technology Attachment (SATA)

Solid-state drive: Support for the following solid-state drives:
For use only on computer models with model number 14m-ba2xx: 16-GB, 2280, Peripheral Component
Interconnect Express (PCIe)-3×2, Non-Volatile Memory Express (NVMe), 3S XP solid-state drive
For use only on computer models with model numbers 14-cc0xx and 14t-cc000:
● 512-GB, PCIe, NVMe solid-state drive
● 512-GB, M.2 SATA solid-state drive with triple-level cell (TLC)
● 256-GB, M.2 SATA solid-state drive with TLC
● 128-GB, M.2 SATA solid-state drive with TLC
For use on all computer models:
● 512-GB, M.2 SATA solid-state drive with TLC
● 256-GB, M.2 SATA solid-state drive
● 128-GB, M.2 SATA solid-state drive
Support for M.2 SATA solid-state drive (support for storage function, port 1; not available on computer models
equipped with an Intel Pentium processor)

So, looking at the above info only SATA M.2 SSD's are supported in the 14-ba1xx model series.

I recommend you go with a 1 TB M.2 SATA SSD.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the quick response.

How about RAM, is it 32GB MAX or 16 GB?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Chapter 1 of the manual indicates the max is 12 GB, but that can't be right.

It must be 16 GB.

Some HP notebooks that have the Intel 8th gen core processors support 2 x 16 GB of memory.

You can do this to find out exactly how much memory your PC can run...

1. In the search box, search for cmd and click Run as administrator. This will open the command prompt.

2. Once command prompt is opened, type wmic memphysical get maxcapacity and hit enter. There, it will show the maximum RAM capacity your PC's motherboard can support.

The capacity is shown as Kilobytes, so you have to convert it to Gigabytes by dividing the number provided in the report by 1,048,576.

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for super-fast response.

I got 33554432 which means 32GB. 

Now I can increase it to 32 GB? if yes, I already have 8Gb, Should I buy 16x2 or how to deal with this. I have DDR4, how about go for a higher version?

does my laptop support DDR5?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

You have to stay with the DDR4 memory.

The  i7-8550U processor your notebook has can only run the memory at a max speed of 2400 MHz.

But it is possible that HP installed a DDR4-2666 MHz memory module in your notebook.

Run the free utility that I zipped up and attached below and it will tell you the speed of the memory chip that HP installed in your PC.  It is either going to be DDR4-2400 or DDR4-2666.

What I would do if I were you...since 2 x 16 GB of memory is expensive and we can't 100% guarantee that 32 GB is going to work, I would only buy one 16 GB memory chip for now and test it out with the 8 GB one.

If the notebook runs fine, reports 24 GB of memory, then you can buy the second 16 GB chip and max it out.

These would be the 16 GB memory chips I recommend...

DDR4-2400:

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2400 SODIMM | CT16G4SFD824A | Crucial DE

DDR4-2666

Crucial 16GB DDR4-2666 SODIMM | CT16G4SFD8266 | Crucial DE

HP Recommended

would you please help me with M2 SATA? which one is good? I didn't find any crucial M2 SSD. I found

SAMSUNG 860 EVO hard drive retail, 1 TB SSD M.2

HP Recommended

Hi:

Since you are wanting to get the most speed you can, this would be the M.2 SATA SSD I recommend...

Best sequential read/write performance for the price.

Western Digital WDS100T2B0B WD Blue 1TB 3D NAND Internal SSD M.2 SATA: Amazon.de: Computer & Accesso...

HP Recommended

Thanks a lot for all the answers..

I ran zip file. its showing type: DDR4 2666. (where can I find speed)

As you said it runs max 2400. 

now, what would you suggest I to buy? 2666 or 2400

HP Recommended

Anytime. 

Glad to have been of assistance. 

Since HP installed DDR4-2666 MHz memory,  I recommend you buy DDR4-2666 MHz memory. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.