Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP-G4-1303AU
Microsoft Windows 7 (32-bit)

I am using HP Pavillion G4 notebook [1303AU]. Serial number is (removed content). I want to upgrade the processor orchange the processor to some quad core one. Please someone suggest me which processors I can install and are compatible. Also let me know what else I need to change for the processor to work fine. 

My notebook is getting too much heat. what to do?

Please suggest me for the above two issues.

Thanks in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Service manual

You can remove your AMD A4 processor and install an 

AMD A8-3520M 2.50-GHz processor (1.6-GHz FSB, 4.0-MB L2 cache, quad core, 35 W) 

The Manual shows how to do it. The A8 processor will be a drop-in replacement; you can reuse the heatsink and will need no parts other than the processor. While you are in there it will give a good chance to clean out the inside thoroughly and apply new thermal compound between the top of the processor and the bottom of the heatsink. Clean the fan blades with a Q-tip with alcohol, and dry each blade with a lint-free cloth carefully to make sure each is clean as a whistle. On the AMD A-series when you upgrade the processor, you actually get a small bump in video performance. The processor is actually called an APU and is, somewhat simplified, both the CPU and the video card. Normally I advice against laptop processor upgrades but on this one particular type, I think it makes good sense since the processors are cheap as there is not much demand for them. Intels are much preferred. Post back if you need help. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-A8-Series-A8-3520M-1-6-GHz-Laptop-Processor-CPU-AM3520DDX43GX-/381679176...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

5 REPLIES 5
HP Recommended

Hi,

No available specs on its homepage. Please use the Maintenance and Service Guide  (4th manual) from the following link to work this out:

http://support.hp.com/us-en/product/HP-Pavilion-g4-Notebook-PC-series/5186805/model/5280050/manuals

and post back nay more questions.

Regards

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Here is the Manual:

Service manual

You can remove your AMD A4 processor and install an 

AMD A8-3520M 2.50-GHz processor (1.6-GHz FSB, 4.0-MB L2 cache, quad core, 35 W) 

The Manual shows how to do it. The A8 processor will be a drop-in replacement; you can reuse the heatsink and will need no parts other than the processor. While you are in there it will give a good chance to clean out the inside thoroughly and apply new thermal compound between the top of the processor and the bottom of the heatsink. Clean the fan blades with a Q-tip with alcohol, and dry each blade with a lint-free cloth carefully to make sure each is clean as a whistle. On the AMD A-series when you upgrade the processor, you actually get a small bump in video performance. The processor is actually called an APU and is, somewhat simplified, both the CPU and the video card. Normally I advice against laptop processor upgrades but on this one particular type, I think it makes good sense since the processors are cheap as there is not much demand for them. Intels are much preferred. Post back if you need help. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMD-A8-Series-A8-3520M-1-6-GHz-Laptop-Processor-CPU-AM3520DDX43GX-/381679176...

If this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thanks for the information.

I there anything else I can do to bypass the video performance degradation?

Can I install an Intel processor on this? If yes, then which one I can?

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hello, Thanks for the help !

I am not getting any of the processor mentioned in the manual over the online shopping sites. I am from India.Could you please guide me if I can buy anything else from the sites.

You can search in amazon.in or ebay.in

Thanks,

Arnab

HP Recommended

No Intel processors. The socket is completely different. The A8 processor will make the video better, not worse. Found one source in India for the AMD A8, but the price is not attractive:

http://www.ebay.in/itm/AMD-A8-Series-A8-3520M-AM3520DDX43GX-Quad-core-2-5GHz-4MB-CPU-Processor-Socke...

This is much cheaper, shipped from China to worldwide:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/100-OK-AM3520DDX43GX-AMD-A8-3520M-1-6-GHz-Quad-Core-laptop-Processor-CPU-/17...

Not sure how your customs and such works. Or why the processor is so much more expensive in India. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.