Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

I've read about this on several blogs that keeping it plugged in always does not damage the battery as the laptop has a bypass system. But I'm unaware if my laptop has any such feature, but even if it does, will keeping the laptop plugged-in damage battery in any sense?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

That link is not working. If you unplug the laptop and run it on battery then recharge you will also register a cycle. Do not overthink it. 1. Do not let charge fall below about 15% 2. When there is power available use the AC adapter, if not use the battery. 

I have a Zbook 15 G3 with a Thunderbolt dock I use as my primary work computer. Typing this on it now. I have had the battery for maybe 10 mos. It is plugged in all the time except when I service it such as adding memory. Never leaves my desk. It has registered one cycle. Cycles only register when the power drops below 95% and then charged back up to 100%. 

View solution in original post

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

There is a "bypass system". The battery is Smart. You can keep it plugged in and use it that way. 

HP Recommended

As mentioned in this thread, https://h30434.www3.hp.com/t5/Business-Notebooks/Should-I-keep-laptop-plugged-in-all-the-time-even-w... "Too, if you leave the computer plugged into the power, it may save repeated "battery charging cycles", which, while these are measured in the thousands, might eventually wear down a battery a little more quickly", is there any chance of this situation happening?

HP Recommended

That link is not working. If you unplug the laptop and run it on battery then recharge you will also register a cycle. Do not overthink it. 1. Do not let charge fall below about 15% 2. When there is power available use the AC adapter, if not use the battery. 

I have a Zbook 15 G3 with a Thunderbolt dock I use as my primary work computer. Typing this on it now. I have had the battery for maybe 10 mos. It is plugged in all the time except when I service it such as adding memory. Never leaves my desk. It has registered one cycle. Cycles only register when the power drops below 95% and then charged back up to 100%. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.