Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion dv6-2191sl
Microsoft Windows 7 (64-bit)

Hi All,

I need to upgrade the memory on this 10-years old laptop (2010) equipped with Intel(R) Core(TM) i3 CPU M 330 @ 2.13GHz. motherboard 3659 32.24 (BIOS F.17), 4GB DDR3-SDRAM (2GB  Micron 1067MHz + 2GB  Micron 1067MHz).
I've already checked that this mobo and processor can support up to 8Gb and bought the following new modules:

Crucial RAM CT2KIT51264BF160BJ 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3 1600 MHz CL11 Kit di Memoria per Laptop

When installed, BIOS recognizes the new memory (8GB) and the diagnostic utility does not detect any issue, yet Windows7 (64bit) cannot start and no error is reported; it's simply cycling indefinitely into the startup procedure, whatever it is (recovery from HDD or CD/DVD).

After re-installing the original memory, I had to perform a full recovery of the system from CD/DVD...

I am looking for some advice to solve the problem and  possibly a how/where to:

- update all drivers

- upgrade to Win10 in case

- upgrade BIOS if required

Thanks a lot in advance!

Marco

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

That memory probably won't work because it is for an Apple notebook.

I would go with two of these...checks all of the boxes....8 little black chips, dual rank, 1.5V, DDR3-1333, non-ECC, unbuffered.

Timetec Hynix IC 4GB DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10600 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.5V CL9 2Rx8 Dual Rank 204 Pin SODIM...

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi, Marco:

You need to buy a very specific type memory for any HP notebook with an Intel series 5 chipset.

See this discussion.  The same would apply to your notebook too.

Solved: Memory upgrade 6550b - HP Support Community - 5340551

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

thanks a lot for your prompt and helpful reply, much appreciated!

I've checked the User Guide and found out that only the following configurations are supported:

MarcoB71_1-1609182540121.png

MarcoB71_0-1609182423866.png

I think my fault was installing 2 single rank modules (with 4 mem chips on a single side instead of 8 per side ofthe original modules). 

Anyway the supported frequency is 1066 MHz while yours suggested are 1333 MHz, which I'm afraid unsupported by my mobo / chipset anyway....

So I'm still looking for a fully compatible solution, any further suggestions are welcome!

Cheers,

M.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

The DDR3-1333 MHz memory will bridge to 1066 MHz.

The major issue in your situation was the memory not having 8 little black chips on each side of the circuit board, and installing DDR3-1600 memory. 

That memory will only bridge to 1333 MHz, it will not 'double bridge' to 1066 MHz.

HP Recommended

Hi again, sounds good! Just another advice about an alternative memory since cannot find G.skill in Italy and newegg is not available here:

http://www.komputerbay.com/komputerbay-8gb-2x-4gb-ddr3-sodimm-204-pin-1333mhz-pc3-10600-for-apple-8-...

It seems identical in the characteristics and on amazon.it some  buyers mention also dv6 very similar to mine...

Thanks a lot!

M.

HP Recommended

Hi:

That memory probably won't work because it is for an Apple notebook.

I would go with two of these...checks all of the boxes....8 little black chips, dual rank, 1.5V, DDR3-1333, non-ECC, unbuffered.

Timetec Hynix IC 4GB DDR3 1333MHz PC3-10600 Unbuffered Non-ECC 1.5V CL9 2Rx8 Dual Rank 204 Pin SODIM...

HP Recommended

Hi Paul,

that Timetec memory perfectly works at the expected (lower) frequency!!

Many many many thanks for your support here and Happy New Year!

Stay safe.

Ciao

Marco

HP Recommended

Anytime, Marco.

Glad to have been of assistance.

You stay safe too!

Felice Anno Nuovo!

Ciao

Paul

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.