Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ZBook 15 G2 Mobile Workstation (ENERGY STAR)
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

OK.

So I currently have Win 7 installed on the HDD, I decided to get an SSD and install Win 10 in it, and at the same time keep Win 7.

I installed the SSD in the M.2 slot, but when I tried to start the installation using an USB, it said that it wasn't a boot device, so I changed the boot mode from Legacy to UEFI and that seemed to fix that issue.

When it reboots to continue with the installation, it fails saying that there was an error with the winload.exe file.

I tried recreating the USB but the result was the same.

I had tested different combinations, like removing the HDD, creating a volume in SSD and copying the USB content to that volume, but for some reason the BIOS fails to detect the volume and throws an error saying "bootdevice not found".

Is it possible to install Win 10 in the SSD and at the same time keep Win 7 in the HDD as a backup OS?

Another issue is that when I hit F9, it doesn't show the SSD, but it does show an option that says something like "External Hard Drive" or "Upgrade Bay".

I'm considering install Win 7 in the SSD and then do the upgrade to Win 10. But I don't know if the problem is with my BIOS, the SSD or just that it's not possible to install the OS in the SSD.

16 REPLIES 16
HP Recommended

Here are tutorials  on YouTube explaining how the dual boot can be done.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=dual+booting+windows+10+and+windows+7+

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico.

My issue is not dual booting, I have done it before.

My real issues are that for some reason my BIOS is not detecting the added SSD as a bootable device, or maybe is doing it under a different label.

When I hit F9 to select the device, none of the options say SSD, depending on whether the HDD is connected or not the options change a little bit. Since I'm using an USB to install Windows one of the options is the USB, and one of the other options is something like "Expansion Bay", I'm guessing this is the SSD.

There must be something wrong with my BIOS configuration or maybe I'm missing something.

HP Recommended

Are you installing the Windows 10 to the SSD as a  GPT volume ?

Is the other disk also a  GPT volume?

Had you considered disconnecting the HDD and then installing and booting to the Windows installation on the SSD?

Once that has been successfully done you can reconnect the HDD.

After you do that you might see the Windows Boot manager show both installations.

I am a volunteer forum member, not an HP employee. If my suggestion solved your issue, don't forget to mark that post as the accepted solution. If you want to say thanks, click on the Yes button next to the "was this reply helpful?"

HP Recommended

Hi Erico.

I apologize for the late reply, it's been a long week and haven't been able to try again. 

Q: Are you installing the Windows 10 to the SSD as a  GPT volume ?

A: Yes, on one of my attempts I created a GPT volume. But the installation doesn't continue after the reboot.

Q: Is the other disk also a  GPT volume?

A: No

Q: Had you considered disconnecting the HDD and then installing and booting to the Windows installation on the SSD?

A: Yes, I have tried removing the HDD. But the problem persists.

Hopefully, the next weekend I'll be able to try again. I'm torn between keep trying to have a hybrid system, Win 7 on the HDD and Win 10 on the SSD, or just buy a SATA SSD and install both versions on it. Keeping the M.2 SSD for storage.

HP Recommended

Is the version of Windows 7 you have a 64-bit one?

MBR and GPT volumes do not mix. GPT 

In the BIOS set the boot option to UEFI only and then Install Windows 7 (64-bit) and afterwards you can create a partition to install Windows 10 on.

The tutorials on YouTube explain how to dual boot.  I know it can be a hassle. 

HP Recommended

Hi Erico.

Q: Is the version of Windows 7 you have a 64-bit one?

A: Yes

I've already changed the boot mode from Legacy to UEFI (with CSM). I did it after my very first attempt.

Installing everything from scratch is my last resort. I already have a Win 7 installation with everything I need, that's why I want to keep it just in case there's an issue with Win 10.

MBR and GPT volumes do not mix. GPT 

I'm thinking about converting the MBR volume to GPT. I've read a little about it and it seems to be safe to do so without data loss.

HP Recommended

"I'm thinking about converting the MBR volume to GPT. I've read a little about it and it seems to be safe to do so without data loss."

Yes. That can be safely done without data loss.

HP Recommended

Hi Erico.

Ok, so I finally converted the MBR volume to GPT. Then I tried the following.

1. With both drives connected, I tried to install Windows 10 on the SSD, it gave an error saying that it couldn't create the volume.

2. Removed the HDD and after a few attempts I was able to start the installation.

3. When it rebooted I got the same error saying that it couldn't find a boot device.

4. I changed the boot mode from UEFI with CSM to without CSM.

5. Tried again and I still got the same error.

6. Rebooted and pressed F9, and noticed that the SSD doesn't show up in the boot options.

7. Checked the BIOS configuration and the SSD is enabled, and it's the first option in the boot order.

For some reason it's not detecting the SSD as a booting device and therefore I can't continue with the installation.

Picture 1 

Picture 2 

SABRENT Rocket 2230 NVMe 4.0 1TB High Performance PCIe 4.0 M.2 2230 SSD [SB-2130-1TB] 

HP Recommended

When you are installing an OS on a second disk, SSD in your case, you should temporarily disconnect the other disk.

After the Windows 10 installation is complete on the SSD you can reconnect the other disk. 

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.