Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Pavilion 15-e072sa
Microsoft Windows 8.1 (64-bit)

Model:  HP Pavilion 15-e072sa (came with Win8.1 but I want to run Win7)

@Paul_Tikkanen answered my question back in 04-16-2014 for user Gordi but the links Paul posted seem to have changed.

I purchased an old HP laptop for occasional use but I cannot stand Win8 and this laptop is too old and basic for Win10 so I want to install Win7 (which I much prefer). I had loads of issues with BIOS security etc and had to keep switching BIOS setting to get it to install but finally managed it. So it now boots and works but many devices do not work such as WiFi.

Unfortunately HP do not provide drivers for Win7 for this laptop and the replies Paul gave to Gordi answers this exactly but I need new links. For example when Paul posted about the AMD driver he said “You want the 49.7 MB file listed” but the link points to a series of drop down menus asking about chipset series and models and doesn’t show file sizes.

So basically I need a list of links to all the drivers that will make my Win7 OS work on this laptop.

I hope I’ve explained this clearly enough?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

Hi:

You can use all of the W7 x64 drivers and software from the HP 255 G2 notebook on yours, except the BIOS and firmware files.

https://support.hp.com/us-en/drivers/selfservice/hp-255-g2-notebook-pc/6431939

In addition, you will need to install the AMD chipset drivers from the link below, which will install the USB3 and smbus controllers.

Scroll down the page, find the W7 x64 chipset driver, install and restart the PC.

Revision Number   18.10.0830    File Size    65.4 MB    Release Date    9/4/2018

https://www.amd.com/en/support/chipsets/amd-8-series-chipsets/890fx

HP Recommended

Hi Paul, thanks so much for your reply!

Do you happen to know which files I need for network as there are 7 options – or how I can tell which device is on my laptop?

With my install the only things I've found so far that don’t work are the two  left-hand USB ports (the single right-side one works) and the network. Hopefully the chipset drivers you shown will fix them!

One other bizarre thing is although the battery charged fine at first (from 20% to 100%) but I removed it to read the serial numbers etc and after re-inserting it is no longer recognised. I’ve tried cleaning the connectors etc repeatedly. Could that be something to do with missing drivers etc? Seems a huge coincidence for it to fail just then.

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

I don't know what wifi adapter your notebook has but if you post the hardware ID for the device labeled as a Network Controller in the device manager, I will post the link to the driver you need for it.

Use this guide for how to find the hardware ID for a device.

https://www.howtogeek.com/193798/how-to-find-drivers-for-unknown-devices-in-the-device-manager/

The chipset driver will install the drivers for the USB 3 ports and hopefully may fix the battery issue you are having.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.