Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

This is getting more confusing as we go on.

So here is a SATA3 2,5" SSD (what you need) and you can see socket in the pictures

https://www.eprice.it/ssd-SAMSUNG/d-11250054 

You can see the drive the drive in your PC on page 61of service manual and how the connector connects to it which is the same as any regular 2.5" drive.

The other picture I linked to is a M2 drive which is not what you need. 

http://www.samsung.com/it/memory-storage/860-evo-m-2-sata-3-ssd/MZ-N6E2T0BW/

HP Recommended

Hi again,

I have reread the whole question and just to make sure. What is the size of the drive in your PC at the moment in GB?

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

> " What is the size of the drive in your PC at the moment in GB?"

[I'm in a different hemisphere and it just became too late to continue then].

Again, that question quoted above is irrelevant.

You have been helpful but the issue is now beyond spilt milk. I fear it has curdled.

The closest answer to the internal connection/interface SATA/SSD question, which is truly critical, has been in the how-to videos you linked to for the HP250 G5. Examining these videos carefully (both SATA and SSD discs) shows that the connectors are different. That is just what I feared.

Too messy, too risky, too expensive to bother with for such a small gain.

Thank you greatly for your assistance. The manual and videos you linked to are a big, very helpful step forward and I am grateful for them.

HP Recommended

Hi,

The question is irrelevant if the hard drive in your system is larger than 500GB as it means you have a mechanical drive, However some models in the same series come with a 256GB M2 SSD (the stick kind of SSD)

The videos I linked you to seem to be confusing you because you are looking at the situation differently than you should be, maybe I have been confusing.

The videos talk about hard drive and solid state drive. You should only be looking at the hard drive video, because it is what you want to replace. So replacing a 2.5" mechanical hard drive with a 2.5" SSD (which is not shown in the video) is straightforward, as the connector is the same and will be the same for all 2.5" hard drives.

The solid state drive videos is for an M2 SSD which has different connector and can not be used in your model (as the slot is most likely not present in your computer). As you state, it is normal that a 2.5"drive has a different connector than an M2 drive. There are two kinds of SSDs, 2.5"SSDs and M2 SSDs.

Gain wise, an SSD will greatly improve evryday performance of the PC, it is probably the most noticeable upgrade you could perform on your PC,

All the best,

David

HP Recommended

Again, thanks for the information. You've been very helpful.

I do know that my existing internal HDD is a mechanical SATA disc. It surprises me that you may have thought I didn't. I may replace it as in 18 months it has generated two unuseable clusters. I'm monitoring this to see if the disc is in slow decay or if the existing bad clusters are the end of the decay for the time.  Replacing it with an SSD rather than a plattered mechanical SATA is one possibility. The other of course is a mechanical SATA.

Accepting for the moment that you are correct in that the internal connectors are the same for a mechanical vs solid state disc (empirically, I need to examine an actual solid state disc "in the flesh" to be sure), then cost becomes the issue. As it stands, a 1TB mechanical 2.5" disc 7200RPM with SATA interface here is about USD$50 while an equivalent solid state is about USD$300 (these are actually good deals here).

Do I care enough about the promised land of increased disc speed capacity to live with that considerable cost increase for what is essentially a "budget" machine. Probably not. But the cost of SSD's must surely drop over time and replacement is not yet urgent.

I will examine an SSD in the flesh shortly to satisfy the connector issue and continue monitoring the situation. Some other parameter may change, but I do have more reliable information now than before this thread began. There was some confusion, caused by the existence of two separate solid state forms of disc. So, I think my question is answered.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.