Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY 15 x360 PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've been losing connection a lot latey, and have to reset my wireless adapter every 2 - 5 minutes. After troubleshooting this issue, it found that the Intel(R) Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260 adapter is experincing driver - or hardware -related problems. When I went to trouble shoot this adapter, it stated there was a problem with the driver, but couldn't identify the problem. 

I find this very odd, and even more frustrating, that the trouble shooter found the problem,  but couldn't identify the problem! Even when I scan this drive, it says it is up to date and working fine. However, this clearly isn't the case.  At times when I log on to my laptop, the AC-7260 driver isn't even listed on my network adapters in my device manager list. Only after many attempts of turning on and off my laptop, does the adapter appear and I can finally use my Wifi. But shortly after doing so, the adapter disappears and I lose connection, and no networks are shown.

How can this be fixed?

Thank you in advance with help on this issue!

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi

The Diagnostic would be ESC and F2 on power up I believe.

Sometimes re-seating the card can help.

As there are multiple matches, can you give the full model number?

HP Recommended

Hello CF4

To be honest with you, I have no idea what that means. Lol! I usually search youtube and google for fixes, but can't seem to figure this one out. The driver seems to need to be replaced or upgraded, but the HP checker says it's fine

HP Recommended

Hi

The actual WiFi adapter card may have become loose or dis-lodged, hence the intermittent nature.

It may be failing and need replacing.

HP Recommended

Thank you CF4

Is this something I can do myself, or do I need to take it somewhere (if so, any advice on where to take it)

Keep in mind, I've never worked on computers/laptops before. I've also, never opened up my laptop either

Thanks for your time!

HP Recommended

Hi

I suspect you want to try a local shop.

https://support.hp.com/gb-en  

If you put the model in the search bar it should bring up lots of manuals and HOW2's which will convince you to seek professional help.

HP Recommended
HP Recommended

The problem is the newer Intel drivers, as many have pointed out.

Now to those remaining, take the steps that intel techs pointed out months ago, which involves:

* removing all intel network software from your 'add/remove applications"

* rolling back your driver version. This is done by going uninstall driver in device manager and choosing 'also remove software' tick box.

* Rescan again so it shows again, then repeat, and repeat, and repeat, till you get sick of repeating!

* Use CCleaner and clean your registry of any **bleep** leftover, use windows disk cleanup etc. (good practice)

* Rescan till nothing shows, restart, repeat.. (now they didn't tell you about this repeating! hehe)

* Most of those who are onto it, won't have to repeat so much, but if you have been stuffing around trying to fix this, then there is a lot of rubbish to clean.

* Reboot

* It will reinstall it, check the version, is it the MS version? We are looking for version: 17.15.0.5 or simular 17x version.

Now you check your wifi, and it should be mint.

Now to stop Windows Update reinstalling the **bleep**est driver from intel again, you can google this:

https://www.google.co.nz/search?q=how+to+stop+windows+10+installing+drivers&rlz=1C1CHBF_enNZ806NZ806...

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.