Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Windows 7

I have just purchased a new HP Pavilion and  want to upgrade the wireless wlan card. This is a great PC and has a Intel Core 4 Gen i7 and so far works good when connected to my LAN via Cat6. I am having issues pulling large CAD files and in looking over the service manual the only option listed for a duel band card is a old N Intel 3160 (1X1) from 2013. I Contacted Intel and was informed that the card should work but that HP tends to Whitelist there BIOS in order to keep customers from upgraded there workstations. The issue I am having is the the Intel 7260 is not listed in my service manual BUT is currently available as a driver download on the support site listed as a Intel 7260/3160 driver. Does anyone know if this product is whitelisted on the BIOS? I have listed the part I am ordering below for reference. 

INTEL DUAL BAND WIRELESS AC 7260 - (2X2 NETWORK ADAPTER 

PCI EXPRESS HALF MINI CARD -

802.11B, 802.11A, 802.11G, 802.11N,
802.11AC, BLUETOOTH 4.0 LE

Model Number 7260.HMWWB.R

TigerDirect Part Number: IE2-102594433

List Price $29.99

As you can see the value in spending $29.99 and the return on investment this offers this is a no brainer compared to the "stock" Realtek  Wireless Card that comes standard on this computer.

Also would like to point out that this computer was only $479.99 at Best Buy and came with and 4Gen i7 and was too good a deal to pass up.  No idea why HP would but such as inferior wifi card in the same workstation with a i7.

Thank you ahead of time for taking the time to read this post and I look forward to reading your response.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi:

From the several posts I have read on the forum you should have no problem installing any wireless card you want in your notebook, as it appears that HP has done away with the BIOS whitelisting of wireless cards.

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

Memory upgrade info can be found in chapter 1.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=7582630&

Now, I have some bad news for you...

You will void the warranty if you install a wireless card or memory yourself.

Unfortunately, you have to pretty much take the whole notebook apart to get to the hard drive, memory and wireless card.  You can refer to chapters 5 and 6 of the service manual for the removal and replacement procedures.

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

I notice the site did not provide my computer info so I have listed that below as well.

HP Pavilion 17 Notebook PC

J9N57UA#ABA

Windows 7 Professional 64-bit Service Pack 1 (Post Purchase thru Windows Downgrade Rights)

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4510U CPU @ 2.00GHz

RAM 6GB

Slot 1 - 4GB  Samsung 1600MHz

Slot 2 - 2GB  Hynix 1600MHz

Graphics: Intel(R) HD Graphics Family

1600 x 900

60 Refresh Rate

System Board: 227F 77.34

System BIOS: F.33

And for Brownie Point does anyone know if this with be able to handle 18G of DDR3L RAM  if I replace the stock ram? 

Thanks

HP Recommended

Hi:

From the several posts I have read on the forum you should have no problem installing any wireless card you want in your notebook, as it appears that HP has done away with the BIOS whitelisting of wireless cards.

Below is the link to the service manual for your notebook.

Memory upgrade info can be found in chapter 1.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/manualCategory?cc=us&dlc=en&lc=en&product=7582630&

Now, I have some bad news for you...

You will void the warranty if you install a wireless card or memory yourself.

Unfortunately, you have to pretty much take the whole notebook apart to get to the hard drive, memory and wireless card.  You can refer to chapters 5 and 6 of the service manual for the removal and replacement procedures.

HP Recommended

You can do 16G of RAM (2 x 8 gig) of DDR3L-1600 So-DIMM. 

HP Recommended
Well that took all of 20min. Installed card, device Manager, select Network, refreshed and win update had the driver download in 10 seconds.

PS. Wow at the screws..hp can surely do a better product design that that
HP Recommended

Product Number    D6W94EA

HP Pavilion g6-2319ss

Core i7 3632QM

intel hd 4000 

PLEAAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEE  need help 

can i use  intel 7260 in this G6  laptop .

has anyone else tried.

HP Recommended

Please start your own thread for new posts but I can tell you NO...your laptop still has a whitelist and you cannot install a 7260. Sorry. 

HP Recommended

I just recieved my custom desktop from HP.  It was just a tower for $1700.  Yes top of the line.  The advertised HP wireless adapter is actually an Intel wireless ac 3160 with bluetooth.  A total piece of crap.  The connection shows excellent but I cant log in to the internet, than the connection disappears, than reappears as fair, than disappears, than reappears as excellent and the access point is 15 ft away.  There is NO support from HP with this issue and the Intel website forums are flooded with compatability comments.  The 3160 does not work with Windows 7 64 bit so why in the heck does HP install it in their top of the line computers.  HP doesnt even have an alternative option for an adapter.  What a joke and this is a billion dollar company.

HP Recommended

Just want to add to the compatability discussion.......

I just successfully replaced stock  RTL3290 adapter in my HP Pavilion n-010dx X360 Win10 64-bit (ver.1607) with an Intel AC-7260.  I added a second antenna to inside of the laptop display chassis and the card connected to  my SonicWall TZ-217 Wireless N NSA at 300mbps without any fuss. Bluetooth 4.0 works flawlessly with my Jabra STEALTH (v.1.25.0.1) headset (headphone and microphone).  Using the stock HP BIOS (updated) and Intel drivers BT_19.10.1635_64_Win10 (64 bit) & Wireless_19.10.0_PROSet64_Win10.  

Speedtest.net pulls 51.51/5.42 on my 50/5 connection.

Totally screams.

Have fun!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.