Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
hp pavilion 13 a030nd x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Hi,

Since a couple of months I have had an issue with my pavilion laptop. When I start the laptop I get once in a while an Internal Error 601 which states I have to replace my battery. When windows has started, windows shows an issue with   the accu and shows error messages like : ''Plugged in, not charging'' and a batterypercentage of 0%. Actually I can work with the laptop for hours, the only problem is when my laptop shuts down because Windows thinks the battery is empty. When I plug in the adapter, reboot the system and unplug the adapter the battery continues to work (but still shows the errors).

Sometimes I don't get the internal error at all and windows shows perfectly the remaining power left within the battery, but when connecting the adapter or when the accu is fully charged, the computer shuts down and after rebooting the internal error comes again. 

I did run the HP System Diagnostics Battery Test twice (once while showing the internal error and once while everything works fine), the first time it shows I have to replace the battery, the second time it states: ''The battery is working fine'' and shows a capacity of 80%. 

I really don't know how to fix this issue, replacing the battery is quite expensive and I don't know if the battery is really damaged. It just charges and delivers power to my computer and except for the shutdowns and errors it seems to work perfectly. Are there any solutions to this, or is replacing the battery the only solution?

Thank you for your help,

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @Dylannst,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are getting an Internal error 601 on your HP notebook. Don't worry, I'll try my best to help you with this,

Download and run the stand-alone battery test utility available on the page below and see if this reports any problems with your battery. Here is the link.

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

Couple of things that you could try here is

Updating the BIOS (Notebooks)

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10)

For more steps, please follow this link.

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue. The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging.

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

Battery Charging Delayed When Operating Notebook in High Ambient Temperatures

Battery Does Not Charge when Using a Voltage Adapter with the Power Adapter

Battery Indicator Light Turns On and Off While Battery is Charging

To understand more about how your battery works: Click here

Keep me posted for further assistance,

Feel free to post your query for any other assistance as well,

It's been a pleasure interacting with you and I hope you have a good day ahead.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

And click on the Purple Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

Hi @Dylannst,

Welcome to the HP Forums 🙂 I would like to take a moment and thank you for using this forum, it is a great place to find answers. For you to have the best experience on the HP forum, you could also visit our HP Forums Guide for First Time Here? Learn How to Post and More.

As I understand you are getting an Internal error 601 on your HP notebook. Don't worry, I'll try my best to help you with this,

Download and run the stand-alone battery test utility available on the page below and see if this reports any problems with your battery. Here is the link.

Unplug the charge and use the laptop until the battery drains to 15%.

Turn off the laptop and turn it back on after 30mins.

Reinstalled Microsoft ACPI-Compliant Control Method Battery under device manager,

Restart the computer and the issue should be fixed.

Couple of things that you could try here is

Updating the BIOS (Notebooks)

Testing and Calibrating the Battery (Windows 10)

For more steps, please follow this link.

Also, Go through them all and let me know what you have determined is causing the issue. The first document has the most relevant troubleshooting if your battery appears to be not charging.

Battery Does not Power Notebook or Hold a Charge

Battery Charging Delayed When Operating Notebook in High Ambient Temperatures

Battery Does Not Charge when Using a Voltage Adapter with the Power Adapter

Battery Indicator Light Turns On and Off While Battery is Charging

To understand more about how your battery works: Click here

Keep me posted for further assistance,

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, 

mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @jeet-singh,

Thank you very much for your post! After trying a couple of times I finally succeeded in running a batterycheck (the program stopped sometimes). The status of the accu was OK and has a maximum capacity of 77%, there were some odd results though:  The remaining capacity was 0 mAh and Power was -1196mA (I don't know if this is odd btw, but it's a negative value).

Now I'm draining the battery to 15%, but I don't know when my battery is at this level. Windows keeps saying that the battery has 0% remaining, so I have to guess when my battery is low enough. I think I'm going to work 1.5 hours more from now and then proceed with the procedure (turning off the computer and reinstall the driver). Is the procedure also working when the battery level is not exactly 15%? :smileyindifferent:

When these steps don't work, I'm going to update my BIOS tomorrow and then try to calibrate my battery.

I'll post another message when the problem is solved or when I completed all of your procedures.

Regards,

Dylannst 

HP Recommended

Hi @Dylannst,

Thank you for the replying,

Please take your time and get back to me with the results,

I'll be awaiting your response and would be glad to help.

If you wish to show appreciation for my efforts, mark my post as Accepted Solution.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @Jeet_singh , 

I managed to do all of your provided steps today, unfortunately it didn't work. When I was trying to uninstall the driver, I wasn't able to detect when my battery had drained enough (so the computer was shutting down at a moment because the battery was empty). I charged it a little bit (5 to 10 minutes I think?) and then reinstalled the driver. 

Calibrating the battery was difficult and to be honest, I don't know if the process was succesfully. I had to do it manually because the battery check in the HP PC Hardware Diagnostics UEFI didn't work (it freezes at 1%).  I performed the extensive harddrive test twice to drain the battery and then fully charged the battery. It then stuck at the battery check in the Hardware Diagnostics (the fourth step). 

The other four URLs are not applicable to my laptop I think. My battery indicator is always on (orange when charging, white when the battery is charged), doesn't blink and I don't have a removable battery inside my laptop. Therefore my laptop is not very warm (the battery temperature in yesterday's test was 26 degrees) and I'm not using a power converter. 

When I succeeded one of yesterday's battery checks, I did one without charger and one with the charger plugged in, the problem seemed to be solved. The batteryicon provided by windows showed a charging battery and actually showed a percentage, but when unplugging the charger, the laptop shutted down and when rebooting the errors came back. 

Personally I think Windows is causing the problem because it is not recognising my battery. The battery is just charging and providing power to my laptop, but this is just a feeling and I don't know for sure 😛

Regards,

Dylan

HP Recommended

The problem seems to be solved right now, after the calibration I left my charger plugged in and this morning the problem is solved (or at least, at this moment). It is possible that the calibration wasn't completed when I posted my last message yesterday. 

I really want to thank you for solving this problem @jeet_singh ! 🙂

HP Recommended

Hi @Dylannst,

Thank you for the update,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I'm glad you found the solution you were looking for.

Thanks for taking the time to let the community know about the solution

You've been great to work with and it has been a genuine pleasure interacting with you.

I hope both you and your product works great and remain healthy for a long time 😉

To simply say thanks for my efforts to assist you, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos.

And accept this as the solution to help others find your post helpful.

Take care now and do have a fabulous week ahead. 🙂

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Hi @jeet_singh,

Unfortunately I was a bit too early with my post (again..). Just a couple of seconds ago my laptop shuts down and all of the errors are back. I was working on battery power when the problem reoccured.  When working on battery power the percentage in the windows icon freezed at 100% for about 20 minutes and then the computer shutted down. Normally after such a shut down I'm not able to restart the laptop without the charger plugged in, but this time I was able to. 

Do you have any further thoughts about fixing this issue or is replacing the battery the only solution left?

Regards,

Dylan

HP Recommended

Hi @Dylannst,

Thanks for replying,

I really appreciate your time and efforts, 

Do you have any further thoughts about fixing this issue or is replacing the battery the only solution left? You're right, this seems to be an issue with the battery itself.

If your product is under the warranty, I would suggest you contact our HP phone support to have it replaced for free.

Please use the following link to create yourself a case number, then call and it may help speed up the call process:

Step 1. Open link: www.hp.com/contacthp/

Step 2. Enter Product number or select to auto detect

Step 3. Scroll down to "Still need help? Complete the form to select your contact options"

Step 4. Scroll down and click: HP contact options - click on Get phone numberCase number and phone number appear.

They will be happy to assist you immediately.

Keep me posted for any other assistance,

If the product is Out of warranty, I would suggest you visit our HP part store to get a replacement battery.

Link to visit HP Part Store: Click here

I hope this helps, let me know if you need any further assistance.

If you wish to help others looking for the same solution as you've found, mark the post as Accepted Solution.

If you wish to show appreciation for my effort, please click the Thumbs up icon at the bottom of my comment.

And I Hope you have a good day, Ahead.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.