Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 13-ae001nx Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

My HP notebook stopped working a few weeks ago. I gave the laptop to HP Service Center.

They diagnosed that the internal hard disk drive is not working any longer. They say that they do not have a new hard disk in stock, and are unable to procure.

I want to buy a new internal SSD compatible with this laptop. I can buy it online, but I'm not sure where and what to look for. Please guide. 

FYI, I stay in Saudi Arabia. The notebook is out of warranty. 

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

Hi:

According to the product specs for your notebook it comes with a 512 GB NVMe M.2 SSD.

HP Spectre x360 - 13-ae001nx Product Specifications | HP® Customer Support

See if you can get this popular model NVMe drive in Saudi Arabia.

Amazon.com: SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NA...

Below is the link to the service manual where you can find the M.2 SSD removal and replacement procedure...

HP Spectre x360 13 Convertible PC Maintenance and Service GuideIMPORTANT! This document is intended ...

HP Recommended

Thank you Paul_Tikkanen for your prompt reply. 

I searched online and found both HP and Samsung drives, of the said spec, being delivered to Saudi Arabia.

• HP EX950 M.2 512GB PCIe 3.0 x4 NVMe 3D TLC NAND Internal SSD 5MS22AA#ABC
  • SAMSUNG 970 EVO Plus SSD 500GB - M.2 NVMe Interface Internal Solid State Drive with V-NAND Technology (MZ-V7S500B/AM)

Which one do you think would be a safer bet?

HP Recommended

You're very welcome.

Doing some research, it appears that the drive in your notebook currently is a Samsung drive.

Paul_Tikkanen_0-1617714501562.jpeg

I would go with the Samsung 970 based on that, just because it should be compatible.

The Samsung 970 is probably a better quality than the Samsung OEM drive and it should come with a 5 year warranty instead of the one year warranty the OEM drive had.

HP Recommended

Thanks for the research and reply Paul_Tikkanen. I'll go for the recommended drive. I'll let you know once I get my system up and running.

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Glad to have been of assistance.

Using another Windows PC running Windows 7 64 bit or newer, you should be able to use the HP cloud recovery tool to create a bootable USB recovery drive that will reinstall W10, the drivers and the software that originally came with your notebook.

Here is an info link for how to use that utility...

HP Consumer PCs - Using the HP Cloud Recovery Tool (Windows 10, 7) | HP® Customer Support

HP Recommended

Thanks Paul_Tikkanen for this extra info. It'll definitely be of help, if I do this on my own. (I was planning to take it back to the service center, after getting the new drive).

HP Recommended

Anytime.

Read the service manual for the SSD removal and replacement procedure, and if you think you can manage it, it will save you a decent amount of money by doing the job yourself.

If not, at a minimum you should be able to create the recovery media and reinstall the OS after the service center replaces the SSD.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.