Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended

to complee for a low level comp tech like me.....and I'm giving myself more credit than i deserve because I'm easy to get so lost within the first 3 steps of anything re: technical support with the HP laptop.

Anyway, years ago had similalr prob on another HP 15 refurbish where the built in key board crapped out coincicentally on year 2 when all we had was the standard 1 yr.   A tech shop replaced the bult in keyboard.....that worked for a few months, and then nothing.

Eventually this laptop met tt's sad end as it was catapulted into a huge concrete wall in my backyard......fun times.

Anyway, I don't want to apy a $100 min fee for some goon to do a BIOS somethint or other......to disable this darn built in keyboard which is literally killing my computer and unable to use often.

Thanks Guys...and  Gals.....Dollls......I just am at my wi's end....as my grandma uses to say.....what is a "wit end," anyway.

Purfect Dr Fonda C

FONDA X. COX, PhD
1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you provide the model number or product number (not serial) of the PC.There are so many of them out there!

Here is how you can find it:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Let me know,

David

View solution in original post

7 REPLIES 7
HP Recommended

@FDA-OX,

Is simple to just plug in a USB wired keyboard. That will work. Just ignore the internal keyboard.

This system is feedback driven thru Solution and Kudo flags. It's the only means of knowing if you have been served. Please click Accept as Solution, if your problem is solved. To say THANK YOU, press the "thumbs up symbol" to render a KUDO. You can render both Solution and KUDO..

HP Envy 8 5010 Tablet
(2) HP DV7t i7 3160QM 2.3Ghz 8GB
Printer -- HP OfficeJet Pro 8620 Legal
Custom Asus Z97D, I7-4790k, 16GB RAM, WIN10 Pro 64bit, ZOTAC GTX1080 AMP Extreme 3 fan 8GB RAM, 500GB SSD, Asus PB287 4k monitor, Rosewill Blackhawk case and 750W OCZ PSU.
HP Recommended

Oh, so the fact I've been using a wirelss bluetooth enabled keyboard has been the problem?   If I could regain all normal use of keyboard without the computer crashing every 15 min everyday by simply using a corded (usb) keyboard and no longer use the wireless keyboard anymore?  Wow if true but it seems like my laptop keyboard disease issues are pretty severe, feel pretty ok that a corded keyboard will bring sunshine back to life?   OOh.

FONDA X. COX, PhD
HP Recommended

Hi,

Can you provide the model number or product number (not serial) of the PC.There are so many of them out there!

Here is how you can find it:

https://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00033108

Let me know,

David

HP Recommended

Hulloh  sir.....i found out finally simply plugging in a wired keyboard does nothing to thwart the hardware major issue of the laptop keyboard no longer working.........my wireless keyboard had nothing to do with it, either....This was my 3rd HP 15 that crapped out re: it's keyboard.....this one is now dead beyond dead.......so doing that Bios thing .......thanks, nevermind.

I am going to get a Lenovo Think Pad.....none of the ridiculously cheaply made HP products compare....Hello Lenovo. I'm on my way, g.

FONDA X. COX, PhD
HP Recommended

thanks David...you were the 1 expert who asked the right question and if my HP hadn't choked it's last breath and buried with the other 2 dead HP laptops from only several yrs ago....I feel as if I answered you, you would've got me to the right help re: Bios disengage the internal keyboard of this awful HP 15..........but alas, appreciate you.

Some other expert told me to just plug in a wired keyboard and that would solve all my horrid issues with it's internal keyboard crapping out soon after the 1 yr warranty....  Well, a wireless keyboard avoided me the headache and worked fine...until one day, HP laptop was done with me i guess,.,.,,,,,hence my post about this Bios thing.........rec from HP Smart friend..........no reason why wireless keyboard worked just fine and suddenly, it all went to **bleep**.......hmmmm...anyway, that fool who said all would be solved with plugging in a wired keyboard was mistaken....p.s. who still uses a wired or usb plug in keyboard?? oh My god, Who??  Same person who would be foolish enough to still use a wired mouse??? Oh heavens...thanks david

FONDA X. COX, PhD
HP Recommended

Hi,

Thanks. Usually, I like to know what I am dealing with before starting to think about it. I guess. yes. I would have seen if there was a BIOS option, a reg option or just shown how to remove the ribon cable and maybe looked at the price and difficulty of replacing the keyboard yourself.

But, anyway, you say the HP has "died". Would like some help with that, seeing if "dead is really dead", at least try to give it some life? 

You would need to provide the exact model or product number and some words about the symptoms. When you press the power button are there any signs (led, fans, screen, error code). If you can not be bothered or are sure of a negative outcome I will not get into it.

You could also disassemble the PC and sell the parts or sell the whole thing to a local computer shop if it quite recent PC.

If you can not be bothered, I guess, let it be the wall 🙂

All the best,

David

HP Recommended

Hi David, thanks, you shouldn't have. Using more of your time, i'm sorry but thankful.....because even though that laptop has toes up with daises growing over it by now, I am major curious so that was awfully nice of you, Mr. David.  I am Fonda and I'm alot of somethinbday cat.jpg

FONDA X. COX, PhD
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.