Resolve Windows 10 or update issues on HP computer or printer– Click Here

• post a message
Highlighted
Level 1
7 4 0 1
Message 1 of 11
Flag Post

Solved!

Is it bad for battery to leave it plugged in all the time?

HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I know this question has been around a long time, and I know there are plenty of answers out there, but I am finding a lot of different opinions out there, and many of them are old and perhaps not relevant to today's smart batteries, so I'm starting a new thread for this question:

Is it bad to leave the laptop plugged in all the time? I don't mean like weeks or even days, I usually unplug at night or when not using. What I mean is during my 8-hour work days, is it OK to just leave it plugged in the whole time? Or, should I let it discharge and then recharge, either a lot or occasionally? I'm most concerned with the long-term battery life here...thanks for your thoughts!

10 REPLIES 10
Highlighted
Level 12
11,043 11,017 577 1,661
Message 2 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The "usual" advice still stands.

A battery that becomes "lazy" -- never fully discharges (and is fully recharged) -- loses its ability to deliver "full-cycle" service.

Computers are getting smarter -- slowing-down the CPU, and dimming the display -- when running on battery power, in order to extend the usage of the current charge.

The power-management software in some Lenovo computers even _refuses_ to fully-charge the battery, if the software detects that you typically run the laptop on AC power most of the time.  This extends the life of the battery.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 20
Level 20
119,909 110,089 17,538 26,822
Message 3 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Hi:

HP has a link for how to get the most life out of your notebook's battery.

http://support.hp.com/us-en/document/c00596784

And yes it is fine to leave it plugged in for not more than two weeks, according to the above link.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 4 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The link you provided is no longer valid, can you provide the updated link to this information?  Thank you .

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 11
Level 11
2,851 2,792 374 1,111
Message 5 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Try this: https://support.hp.com/ca-en/document/c01297640

Regards,

kem579

I am currently taking an indefinite break due to other academic and professional priorities. I will be checking the community intermittently.
0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 6 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I already looked at that document but I do not see where this Q is answered.  It does not discuss if it is bad for battery to leave it plugged in all the time.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
44,713 38,170 3,350 14,099
Message 7 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The document posted above clearly states>>

"If the computer is run primarily on AC power, allow the battery to discharge completely and recharge once per month."

Although I interpret discharge to 15-17% as optimal-not dead flat.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 8 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

Thank you.  What is the source you are using for that advice?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
Level 17
Level 17
44,713 38,170 3,350 14,099
Message 9 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

The last document posted above by @EddyK I couldn't get the document to open that you mentioned was invalid and then marked as Solution so don't know if it is same.

**Click Accept as Solution on a Reply that solves your issue**
***Click the Thumbs-Up button as a way to say Thanks!***

0 Kudos
Highlighted
4 4 0 0
Message 10 of 11
Flag Post
HP Recommended

I did not see that in the document, do you know the "topic" it was listed under?

0 Kudos
Be alert for scammers posting fake support phone numbers and/or email addresses on the community. If you think you have received a fake HP Support message, please report it to us by clicking on "Flag Post".
† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the Terms of Use and Rules of Participation