Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Laptop 17-ca0xxx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I have an  HP Laptop 17-ca0xxx with a AMD Radeon(TM) R5 Graphics card which isn't good for gaming so I was wondering if there was a way to "technically" upgrade the graphics card. I say technically in quotation marks because I know some laptops lose the warranty if you mess around inside the computer. However, my warranty is expired for my laptop so that isn't an issue. I want to know if it is possible to upgrade the graphics card even if I need to solder a new one on?

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

@afresh2000 

The question should be CAN or CAN'T. My short answer is: Buying new machine

The series has following options

Internal graphics:

• AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Mobile Graphics (Ryzen 5 processor)
  • AMD Radeon Vega 6 Mobile Graphics (Ryzen 3-2300 processor)
  • AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics (Ryzen 3-2200 processor)
  • AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (A9 processor)
  • AMD Radeon R4 Graphics (A6 processor)
  • AMD Radeon R2 Graphics (E2 processor)

External graphics:

• AMD Radeon 530 with up to 4 GB of dedicated video memory
  • AMD Radeon 530 with up to 2 GB of dedicated video memory

Each model/product can have different combination/configuration using above options. Looks like your machine has A9 processor and its system board does not have slot to add external graphics option.

Do you wish to pay for a new system board just for adding a video card ? You can't buy video card yourself, you have to buy totally new system board with new CPU, new video card and new license of Windows.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

@afresh2000 

The question should be CAN or CAN'T. My short answer is: Buying new machine

The series has following options

Internal graphics:

• AMD Radeon™ Vega 8 Mobile Graphics (Ryzen 5 processor)
  • AMD Radeon Vega 6 Mobile Graphics (Ryzen 3-2300 processor)
  • AMD Radeon Vega 3 Mobile Graphics (Ryzen 3-2200 processor)
  • AMD Radeon R5 Graphics (A9 processor)
  • AMD Radeon R4 Graphics (A6 processor)
  • AMD Radeon R2 Graphics (E2 processor)

External graphics:

• AMD Radeon 530 with up to 4 GB of dedicated video memory
  • AMD Radeon 530 with up to 2 GB of dedicated video memory

Each model/product can have different combination/configuration using above options. Looks like your machine has A9 processor and its system board does not have slot to add external graphics option.

Do you wish to pay for a new system board just for adding a video card ? You can't buy video card yourself, you have to buy totally new system board with new CPU, new video card and new license of Windows.

Regards.

BH
**Click the KUDOS thumb up on the left to say 'Thanks'**
Make it easier for other people to find solutions by marking a Reply 'Accept as Solution' if it solves your problem.

HP Recommended

Ahh dang was hoping that wasn't the case but thank you anyway sir!

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.