Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Any failures related to Hotkey UWP service? Click here for tips.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Spectre x360 15-df0xxx Diamond Gem Cut
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

The situation is as follows -

I have a thunderbolt dock which  has 2 HDMI, 3 USB 3.0 and a few more ports.

It also has support for charging my laptop if I plug in a USB C Power Delivery charger to the dock - but only upto 60w.

So I got a 60w USB C Power Delivery charger for it. But the laptop is too power hungry and 60w is not enough for it. It says battery is not charging.

So I am back to using the 130w charging brick (normal cylindrical pin) that came along with the laptop.

The problem is, one single USB C port has the bandwidth capacity to run multiple displays (I've tried 2 HDMI) along with multiple USB peripherals (Keyboard, Mouse, External HDD) but it does not have the power capacity to do the same.

So the dock manufacturer was smart enough to have thought of this and distributes the power from the Power Delivery source plugged into the dock to the peripherals attached. But if I do this, it will try to power my laptop with the Power Delivery source as well - which does not have enough power to charge my laptop.

So I want to attach the original 130 w charger to my laptop and attach the USB PD charger to the dock (to power the peripherals).

But I've seen youtube videos of people trying to charge Macbooks with multiple sources (for science!) and destroy their charging ports.

Hence my question - Is it safe to charge through USB C at the same time as charging through provided charger?

Otherwise, is there any way I can force disable the USB C charging input on my laptop?

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

@blackphoenixkg USB-C is supposed to be a fully voltage/current negotiation* system, independent of the software that wishes to use the port.
*Such negotiation is supposed to happen before the port even becomes active from the OS’s perspective.

Therefore, on a laptop that hosts multiple USB-C ports the following should happen:

1. The first charger takes precedence and the second charger is ignored; or
  2. The two chargers share the charging load.

HP recommends you only use one of the two charging options to be on the safer side.

And I'm afraid there's no option to turn off the charging as such.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

@Riddle_Decipher wrote:

@blackphoenixkgUSB-C is supposed to be a fully voltage/current negotiation* system, independent of the software that wishes to use the port.
*Such negotiation is supposed to happen before the port even becomes active from the OS’s perspective.

I understand this. The thunderbolt port is active even before the system starts.

Therefore, on a laptop that hosts multiple USB-C ports the following should happen:

1. The first charger takes precedence and the second charger is ignored; or
  2. The two chargers share the charging load.

I'm not sure if this situation you are talking about is only in case of 2 TB USB C ports or does this include the cylindrical pin charger supplied with the laptop as well. In case it includes the supplied charger, then does HP implement this feature, or not, in this particular model of laptop or not? Also, which one of the two features you mentioned does HP implement in this model, if any?

HP recommends you only use one of the two charging options to be on the safer side.

Again, I understand the recommendation. But it does not answer my question. Is it safe to charge through USB C at the same time as charging through provided charger? A yes or no answer would be preferable.

And I'm afraid there's no option to turn off the charging as such.

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

I hope that answers your query,  

If it did, simply select "Accept as solution", to help the community grow, 

And if you wish to thank us for our efforts, click on the thumbs up for kudos.

Have a great day ahead.

HP Recommended

@blackphoenixkg To answer your question, the HP Supplied charger will be given first preference, 

And No, it would not be preferable, I hope that helps!

Let me know if you need anything else.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.