Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
14-am040na
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

I've got an HP 14-am040na notebook. I can't find or discover the marketing name for this; it was bought second-hand. The problem is that some of the keys (E, A, D and F) have worn and the lettering can't be read any more. Replacement keys are available on eBay but the sellers use the marketing name for the computer, not HP's product name...

Does anybody know what the marketing name for the 14-am040na is, the catchy one used  in the sales ads (I'm sure they didn't use 14-am040na!), the part number(s) for the 14-am040na's keys, or which model's keys will serve as direct replacements? 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Good on you. Many people have trouble snapping them back in place. I know I have from time to time and in the day just used to replace the keyboard as they were cheap and easy to replace, Now, the keyboard is integrated into the whole top cover and replacement of the whole top cover is a major hassle. Here is the keyboard. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-For-HP-home-14-ar000-14-am000-14-am100-14-an000-Keyboard-UK-No-frame-...

Looks like you could just easily replace this into the top cover but they are actually bolted in and it is a chore. This seller has acquired a component part used in the manufacture of the top cover and is selling it as a replacement keyboard. Its a bit disingenuous but not actually fraudulent as you could theoretically replace this into the top cover. In any event if you need 3 or 4 keys you would spend the price of this keyboard trying to find them so you might as well just get this and harvest what you need from it. 

View solution in original post

4 REPLIES 4
HP Recommended

Not sure what you mean. The model number is 14-am040na. That is how HP refers to it and any replacement keys are going to have to come from a model in the 14-amxxx series or it will not work. Single key replacement is a bit of a rabbit hole you do not want to go down unless you understand what you are getting yourself into. 

HP Recommended

When I'm confronted with a simple alpha numeric string for a name, I begin to wonder. As a for example, my old car was a Volvo S40 SE from 1998. However, try finding S40 SE (or S40 1.8 litres) in the handbook. Instead there was an alpha-numeric string. When I challenged Volvo, I was told that S40 SE was the marketing name for the vehicle; the alpha-numeric string was the engineer's name and they were the ones who'd written the handbook. The problem was, there was no table available which converted the engineer's (and handbook) name to the one on the sales invoice (and which appeared on the back of the car).

The same problem comes with 14-am040na as a name; it's not the sort of thing which the sales people would use. It's not snappy and it's not memorable. When looking online for replacement keys, I was finding snappier (or at least, more memorable), names so wondered if HP had done the same thing as Volvo all those years ago. It seems that they may not have.

What's the issue with key replacement? Some months ago, one of the keys began to stick. Following online instructions, I removed the key (it simply levers off), cleaned up around and underneath it before snapping it back into place. The key then worked perfectly. If it worked once it'll work again. All I need is to identify the correct sized replacement key. What do you think I've missed or misunderstood?

HP Recommended

Good on you. Many people have trouble snapping them back in place. I know I have from time to time and in the day just used to replace the keyboard as they were cheap and easy to replace, Now, the keyboard is integrated into the whole top cover and replacement of the whole top cover is a major hassle. Here is the keyboard. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/New-For-HP-home-14-ar000-14-am000-14-am100-14-an000-Keyboard-UK-No-frame-...

Looks like you could just easily replace this into the top cover but they are actually bolted in and it is a chore. This seller has acquired a component part used in the manufacture of the top cover and is selling it as a replacement keyboard. Its a bit disingenuous but not actually fraudulent as you could theoretically replace this into the top cover. In any event if you need 3 or 4 keys you would spend the price of this keyboard trying to find them so you might as well just get this and harvest what you need from it. 

HP Recommended

That's useful; thank you.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.