Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Model 15-dw2658cl
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Yesterday I received a new HP laptop. Everything worked fine at first. However, some time this morning, I became unable to turn off my backlit keyboard. My toggle is tied to the F5 key which works fine to refresh the page. I've tried everything I could fine such as updating the BIOS, OS, and drivers. However, nothing seems to work. I do not believe it to be a hardware issue since the F5 key still works and the backlight timeout still works and comes back on when I use the keyboard. I also tried to boot the device several times and in both safe mode and by doing a clean boot, but the issue persists. It's also important to note that I have not downloaded any software, nor have I messed with the hardware. I found that other people had similar issues online, but there were no solutions.

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Since my laptop was new, I decided that there would be no problem with completely resetting it. After doing so, however, the problem persists. Does this mean it is a hardware problem?

HP Recommended

@Alim33 I hope you know that not all keyboards have an option to use the timeout feature by design, that's only available on limited devices, that said, here's all you need to know about using the backlight of your keyboard:

Toggle backlight settings:

If your notebook computer has a backlit keyboard, press the F5 or F4 (some models) key on the keyboard to turn the light on or off. It might be necessary to press the fn (function) key at the same time.

If the backlight icon  is not on the F5 key, look for the backlit keyboard key on the row of function keys.

Backlit keyboard key and fn keys highlighted

FOR DETAILS & FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS, USE THIS LINK: CLICK HERE

(By the end of this article all the issues should be resolved)

P.S: Welcome to HP Community 😉

Keep us posted,

If you would like to thank us for our efforts to help you, 

Give us a virtual high-five by clicking the 'Thumbs Up' icon below, followed by clicking on the "Accept as solution" on this post, 

Have a great day!

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I mentioned the backlight timeout since it responded to the keyboard despite the f5 key not controlling it like it is supposed to. assumed this meant the keyboard and backlight were still connected such that the backlight did not become disconnected. The article did not help since I already knew that my backlight was tied to f5.

HP Recommended

@Alim33 If you mean the toggle is working with only the F5 without using the Fn key, the latter is probably locked, 

please check if there's a lock symbol on the keyboard and unlock the Fn key by tapping Fn+Lock symbol and then try Fn+F5 to check if it works.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

My keyboard does not have an FN lock  key. As I previously mentioned, F5+FN still works to refresh the page.I know how to control the toggle.The issue is that it stopped working rather than I do not know how it works. I know how it works because I already used it. It no longer turns off when I press the key.

HP Recommended

@Alim33 I suggest you reinstall the keyboard drivers from the device manager and check if it works,

If not, create a new user account and that should work.

Keep me posted.

Riddle_Decipher
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.