Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP 15-r030wm Notebook PC
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

So I am having an odd issue with my laptop so I will try to give as many details as possible. My keyboard and touchpad are not working on my HP 15-r030wm Notebook PC in windows 10 itself. It is however working in Linux and even recovery. I notice when I go to check out my mouse settings in windows 10 it says synaptics is not working and the only option it gives me is to uninstall (That is not the exact error I am getting but figured I would throw that in) I have tried looking for the correct synaptics driver but I cannot find the one to use.

Things I have done to try and fix this issue is a fresh install of windows 10, out of the box keyboard and touchpad do nothing. I have also tried resetting the bios inside bios itself and that did nothing, but when I did that windows did not boot properly and in the error screen the keyboard and mouse are both working so it's not a hardware issue. I have also tried the crisis reset thing with the bios with Holding the windows key + B + power button for 5 seconds and all that did was black screen with the caps lock button flashing, also did the windows key + v + Power button for 5 seconds but all that did was boot to windows 10. I have tried updating the bios and no fix. I have went into power options and changed it from high power to balanced to see if that did anything and changed a couple settings in the advanced part that was recommended in another thread and again that did nothing... 

Does anyone else know what I can do? I have a external keyboard and mouse but that does not help when I need to be mobile. I am thinking it has to do with the driver but on the hp support sections for drivers I don't have a driver for my keyboard and mouse besides one for the mouse which I updated. If you need any more information please don't hesitate to ask as I notice a ton of people are having this issue with the hp15 series. 

Thank you,

-Derpington

PS: The Synaptics PS/2 driver doesn't even show up in Driver manager.

Update: After finding another thing in device manager labeled "Unknown" I tried updating it, after this it said it couldn't update the synaptics driver and to check with the manufacture. Although when I go into the support area of HP the driver area for keyboard, mouse, and input devices all I have is a "Hp wireless button driver" Nothing for my touchpad and keyboard. Also when I go into properties in device manager it shows this https://gyazo.com/b9e692a09fbcb2dd6e8185cd53168c46

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

I have found my solution to this issue, and I think it may be an issue with more people so I will post my fix.

Here is how I fixed my issue

1. Go to start and type "Device manager" hit enter.

2. When device manager pops up Look for an entry with a caution symbol that says EzTouchFilter (I think it's under "Human Interface Devices" but cannot remember) right click it and update it.

3. When the window pops up select "Browse my computer for driver software. Then select towards the bottom "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".

4. When that window pops up select the one without eztouchfilter in it and click next.

This fixed my particular issue so I hope it helps anyone else. Not sure who did quality control for windows 10 drivers but this didn't work as advised and this is why I wish they would quit forcing drivers upon people, as it can create headaches like this. Thanks to anyone who read this post and tried to think of what it was at least.

View solution in original post

1 REPLY 1
HP Recommended

I have found my solution to this issue, and I think it may be an issue with more people so I will post my fix.

Here is how I fixed my issue

1. Go to start and type "Device manager" hit enter.

2. When device manager pops up Look for an entry with a caution symbol that says EzTouchFilter (I think it's under "Human Interface Devices" but cannot remember) right click it and update it.

3. When the window pops up select "Browse my computer for driver software. Then select towards the bottom "Let me pick from a list of available drivers on my computer".

4. When that window pops up select the one without eztouchfilter in it and click next.

This fixed my particular issue so I hope it helps anyone else. Not sure who did quality control for windows 10 drivers but this didn't work as advised and this is why I wish they would quit forcing drivers upon people, as it can create headaches like this. Thanks to anyone who read this post and tried to think of what it was at least.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.