Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
Pavilion 15-au136tx
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Not sure it's normal behaviour or problem related to software.

---------------------------

It happens like this:

When I hold UP + LEFT arrow, Spacebar locks up unless I release either UP or LEFT key. But that didn't happen when I hold UP + RIGHT.

Also, when holding UP + DOWN, these keys went locked: Q,W,E,R,U,I,O,P

If I holds down W + S, these keys locks up (includes 8 keys from UP + DOWN): A,S,D,F,J,K,L,;

For S + X, it locks everything in that row except B,N.

Which means if you try to hold two keys from different rows, it locks everything in that row except two centered keys.

Unaffected keys: 5,6,T,Y,G,H,B,N. (Tested on alphabets & numbers. Numpad keys excluded.)

Any software fix or tweaks can unlocks these keys? Since it's obstrcuting me quite a lot when gaming.

8 REPLIES 8
HP Recommended

@BShen

Welcome to HP Support Forums. 🙂 I came across your post and would like to help.

I understand that you have an HP Pavilion - 15-au136tx and while playing games, the keys will lock up when you press certain key combination is you mentioned in your post.

I would like to know the following information to assist you better:

• Did you check the Windows command prompt if all keys work fine?
  • You may also open a Notepad or any typing application and check if all keys respond.

If the keys work fine in the above-mentioned places then the keyboard should is alright. It could be because of the gaming program limitation that multiple keys wont respond when you have already pressed certain key combinations. 

If you ace any keyboard related issues in the command prompt or while typing in the applications like notepad, Word, etc. then please try the Notebook Keyboard Troubleshooting steps.

Hope the above information is useful. Please feel free to let me know how it pans out. Cheers! 🙂

HP Recommended

Pressing one key at a time isn't a problem, and those mentioned combination keys happens everywhere (typing too).

(I did search for drivers but seems there's no new drivers for keyboard.)

HP Recommended

**duplicated above message**

HP Recommended

@BShen

Thanks for replying. I appreciate you taking your valuable time to troubleshoot.

For the benefit of the doubt, let us run a hardware diagnostic check of the keyboard. If the test results are good then that's how the keyboard is designed to work. To initiate the test lease follow the below steps:

• Hold the power button for at least five seconds to turn off the computer.

• Turn on the computer and immediately press the F2 key repeatedly, about once every second.

• The HP PC Hardware Diagnostics (UEFI) main menu is displayed.

HP PC Hardware Diagnostic UEFI screen

• Select Component tests.

List of the Component tests

• Now select Keyboard. A quick interactive functional test of the keys on the keyboard. Click Keyboard, then Run once.

The Keyboard Test time is 3 minutes.

Let me know the outcome. All the best! 🙂

HP Recommended

Results are normal, but there's no way of pressing multiple keys without locking other keys at the same time?

HP Recommended

Hi @BShen, I am the Jeet_singh. It looks like you were interacting with @MKazi, but he is out of the office today so I'll take over from here.

Thank you for replying,

I appreciate your time and efforts,

I understand you tried the steps suggested and still seems to have the issue with the keyboard, don't worry we'll work together to find a solution for you,

Could you let me know which game are you trying to play?

Please respond to this post with the details for further assistance.

Eagerly waiting for your response!

I hope you have a good day ahead,

And Feel free to ask your queries as this forum has some of the best people in the world available and ready to help.

Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

GTA: San Andreas (with Multiplayer mods) and most Need for Speed games.

I guess it could be something to do with keyboard firmware itself, since this happened in the place I typed this message.

HP Recommended

Hi @BShen,

Thank you for providing the information, I would suggest you could try a couple of things here:

1. You could try using an external keyboard and check how it works.

2. Try using it on reduce frame rate

If nothing helps, I would suggest you contact the game manufacturer for further assistance. 

Please respond to this post with the details of the troubleshooting results. I'll look forward to hearing from you.

Thanks & Regards,

Jeet_Singh
I am an HP Employee

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.