Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP Spectre x360 Convertible
Microsoft Windows 10 (64-bit)

Ok so I have had this problem for a few months and I've tried on and off to troubleshoot it but found no resolution (it's difficult to refine into a search term).

Basically, some programs and tools just don't register my typing, while others do (evidently since I'm typing this).

Places I can't type:

Search/start menu

Any windows search tools (e.g. in file explorer, Store and control panel)

the Sticky notes app thing

Diarium

Places I can type:

Google chrome/IE/Edge

Microsoft Office suite

All drivers are registering as up to date and are not displaying any issues. I'm not getting any error messages no matter where I look, it's just as if I'm not typing when I click into the fields. They show a cursor though like I should be able to type and there is no indication that it's 'busy'.

Apologies - I'm by no stretch a tech genius, but I have done my best and been on boards and it's really frustrating. 

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Hi @EMxF

Thank you for posting back.

I appreciate your time and efforts.

Follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, select Command prompt (admin).

• Enter the below commands one by one and hit Enter key.

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

• It will open the PowerShell window.

• Now enter the below command and hit Enter key.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

If the issue still persist, follow the below method.

• Open the Task manager.  Here’s a tip:  Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
  • Click File > Run New Task
  • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
  • Type Powershell
  • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
  • Close the Powershell window
  • Reboot the computer and check if it helps.

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

View solution in original post

6 REPLIES 6
HP Recommended

Hi @EMxF

Welcome to the HP Forums!

Thank you for posting your query in this forum, it's a great place to find answers.

I reviewed your post and I understand that the keyboard is not working for windows apps.

I’d love to help!

Follow the steps in the below article to download and install the drivers for your printer.

1. Press Win + R (to open Run )
  2. copy paste and press enter to run this program. "C:\Windows\system32\ctfmon.exe". it brings back the language bar and test the keyboard.

Let me know how it goes and you have a great day!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles.

Take care.

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

I've given that a go but it didn't seem to do anything or open any windows sorry. Still not able to type in those same areas/windows apps

HP Recommended

Hi @EMxF

I appreciate your time and efforts.

Follow below steps and check if it helps.

• Press Windows + X keys on the keyboard, select Command prompt (admin).

• Enter the below commands one by one and hit Enter key.

PowerShell -ExecutionPolicy Unrestricted

• It will open the PowerShell window.

• Now enter the below command and hit Enter key.

Get-AppXPackage -AllUsers |Where-Object {$_.InstallLocation -like "*SystemApps*"} | Foreach {Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register "$($_.InstallLocation)\AppXManifest.xml"}

If the issue still persist, follow the below method.

• Open the Task manager.  Here’s a tip:  Press CTRL+Shift+ESC.
  • Click File > Run New Task
  • Make sure you have a check mark beside “Create this task with administrative privileges”
  • Type Powershell
  • Type the following in the Powershell prompt:
    $manifest = (Get-AppxPackage Microsoft.WindowsStore).InstallLocation + '\AppxManifest.xml' ; Add-AppxPackage -DisableDevelopmentMode -Register $manifest
  • Close the Powershell window
  • Reboot the computer and check if it helps.

Let me know how it goes. Awaiting your reply!

To simply say thanks, please click the "Thumbs Up" button to give me a Kudos to appreciate my efforts to help. If this helps, please mark this as “Accepted Solution” as it will help several others with the same issue to get it resolved without hassles. Take care now and have a splendid week ahead.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Thanks so much The_Fossette - first option & a restart seems to have resolved the issue.

Seriously it's such a big improvement for me!

HP Recommended

Hi @EMxF

Perfect, I am really glad to hear that! 

If any other questions arise, please feel free to write back to me.

Good day! Take care 🙂

Cheers!

The_Fossette
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

sir I have tried this solution but after I restart my laptop, same problem again arise. please solve this issue. My laptop is 

HP Notebook - 15-ay008tx.Thank you

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.