Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
Are you having HotKey issues? Click here for tips and tricks.
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP ENVY x360 Convertible Laptop PC 15-ed1000 IDS Base Model
Microsoft Windows 11

The power button on the keyboard of my HP ENVY x360 2021 model has failed. It will not turn on if tapped or held down. Then, after trying many times it does work so I can keep it working in sleep mode. But it's obviously going to die soon.  All of the other keys on the keyboard work.
The computer is fully charged and only a few months old. I am travelling out of the US and need to use a local repair place. Does the whole keyboard need to be replaced? 

3 REPLIES 3
HP Recommended

It turns out you can't replace just the keyboard on this model. You need to replace the entire top of the computer! This is a colossal failure by HP. First of all a keyboard switch is not a good choice to handle an on-off function for the whole computer. Secondly, a keyboard problem can be worked around with a touch screen computer or an external keyboard if there is a keyboard failure - but not if you can't turn the computer on. The power button should be a completely separate - and rugged - switch.
So ... Please.... is there any way to turn the computer on remotely - for example with an external keyboard?

Or anyway to replace JUST the power button on the keyboard?

Anything?

Anybody?

HP Recommended

@frederiqueLesne

Thank you for posting on the HP Support Community.

Don't worry as I'll be glad to help, 

I want to thank you for taking the time to speak to us today. As we have limited support boundaries in the support community as of now. I have brought your issue to the attention of an appropriate team within HP. They will likely request information from you in order to look up your case details or product serial number. Please look for a private message from an identified HP contact. Additionally, keep in mind not to publicly post personal information (serial numbers and case details).

If you are unfamiliar with how the Community's private message capability works, you can learn about that here.

Thank you for visiting the HP Support Community.

ECHO_LAKE
I am an HP Employee

HP Recommended

Still no contact from support. And I discovered that this lovely little computer does not really "sleep" - it used 70% of the full battery charge in 8 hours in "sleep" mode.  At one point even the fan started working. The screen is off but WiFi is still working and something is slurping battery juice. 
It seems other people have had problems with Windows 11 not sleeping and I followed the tips I found online to fix this - but it didn't seem to make any difference. So I decided to go with hibernate (turned off by default on this computer).  That did, indeed, shut the computer down but guess what? To wake it up you need ..... yeah.... you got it.... the power button. 
I also discovered there is a company that sells just the keys. You pop off the key, remove a little plastic retainer, take out a plasticy flap and put in a new one. I don't know if this actually fixes anything and am still trying to find out. I don't want to try it without knowing it's going to actually work. 

And Hey, wouldn't it be really nice to have someone with some technical know-how to be answering these questions? You know, HP support? I go to the support site and get a notice it's not available. Wow. Amazing. Hewy Packard in action.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.