Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
    Information
    Windows update impacting certain printer icons and names. Microsoft is working on a solution.
    Click here to learn more
    Information
    Need Windows 11 help?
    Check documents on compatibility, FAQs, upgrade information and available fixes.
    Windows 11 Support Center.
  • post a message
Guidelines
We have new content about Hotkey issue, Click here to check it out!
Common problems for Battery
We would like to share some of the most frequently asked questions about: Battery Reports, Hold a charge, Test and Calibrating Battery . Check out this link: Is your notebook plugged in and not charging?
HP Recommended
HP - ENVY m6-1232ea
Microsoft Windows 8 (64-bit)

Hi,

Recently I had to replace the fan since was making too much noise. So following the service guide (thank you for providing it) I had to remove the keyboard and notice the connector for Backlight. My laptop is equipped with Keyboard without backlight in midnight black finish 698401-031 and I am asking if I can install a US version of keyboard 698403-001

What I meant is the backlight will work?

Also, for my big surprise (till now I just though this is how slow the HDD was suppose to be), there is no 32 GB SSD under / close to the WIFI module. My second question is if I can install one (there are 2 empty slots there) and if wil give any conflict with the main storage (I am about to replace the HDD with SSD same capacity).

Thank you in advance.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
HP Recommended

Yes the backlit keyboard is optional on that model and will work if you install a backlit keyboard from the list on page 24, etc. of the Manual here:

Service Manual

The mSATA mSSD is shown on page 64 of the Manual. The other very similar slot you are seeing is for a WWAN cellular modem card. 

What you need to understand is on that generation of hardware (3rd gen Intel Core processor) the only function of the 32 gig mSSD was an an "accelerator" for a main spinner hard drive, actuated through Intel Rapid Storage software. 

The 32 gig mSSD cannot be a boot drive if there is also a 2.5 inch SATA drive in the main drive bay. It is pretty much useless if you are using a 2.5 inch SATA SSD as Intel Rapid Storage will not permit an SSD to be accelerated by another SSD. Some person may come in here and point out there are workarounds that allow you to run an OS on the mSSD but those involve using a "bootloader" that starts booting from the hard drive, then switches over to the mSSD. It is complicated to set up and bottom line, the mSATA mSSD is no faster than a 2.5 inch SATA SSD anyway so you might as well use one of those. 

So it seems you are saying you plan to install a 2.5 inch SATA SSD, in which case just ignore the slot for the mSATA mSSD card. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

View solution in original post

2 REPLIES 2
HP Recommended

Yes the backlit keyboard is optional on that model and will work if you install a backlit keyboard from the list on page 24, etc. of the Manual here:

Service Manual

The mSATA mSSD is shown on page 64 of the Manual. The other very similar slot you are seeing is for a WWAN cellular modem card. 

What you need to understand is on that generation of hardware (3rd gen Intel Core processor) the only function of the 32 gig mSSD was an an "accelerator" for a main spinner hard drive, actuated through Intel Rapid Storage software. 

The 32 gig mSSD cannot be a boot drive if there is also a 2.5 inch SATA drive in the main drive bay. It is pretty much useless if you are using a 2.5 inch SATA SSD as Intel Rapid Storage will not permit an SSD to be accelerated by another SSD. Some person may come in here and point out there are workarounds that allow you to run an OS on the mSSD but those involve using a "bootloader" that starts booting from the hard drive, then switches over to the mSSD. It is complicated to set up and bottom line, the mSATA mSSD is no faster than a 2.5 inch SATA SSD anyway so you might as well use one of those. 

So it seems you are saying you plan to install a 2.5 inch SATA SSD, in which case just ignore the slot for the mSATA mSSD card. 

if this is "the Answer" please click "Accept as Solution" to help others find it. 

HP Recommended

Thank you so much for fast and detailed answer.

† The opinions expressed above are the personal opinions of the authors, not of HP. By using this site, you accept the <a href="https://www8.hp.com/us/en/terms-of-use.html" class="udrlinesmall">Terms of Use</a> and <a href="/t5/custom/page/page-id/hp.rulespage" class="udrlinesmall"> Rules of Participation</a>.